VOGONS

Championship Manager 2 is working! (but running very slowly)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by 42david42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I have been trying many times when struck by a wave of nostalgia to make my old Champioship Manager 2 95/96 work. I have the original cdrom still, but had previously been unable to use it due to the laserlock copy protection.

This is how I made it work;
First, I mounted the cdrom drive (as d) and a games folder (as c) in dosbox. Then, I installed the game from the cdrom using the install.exe file to c:\cm2.

When I tried to run the game in this situation, I was met by the error: Cannot find LASERLOCK Cdrom in any drive (or something similar).

I got past this however by mounting the cdrom drive in one of the other ways suggested by intro cdrom;
mount d e:\ (my cdrom drive) -t cdrom - label CM2 -ioctl
This did not work completely however - I got passed the copy protection, but now DOSbox just shut down when executing cm2.exe.

While browsing on your forums, I finally found peter ferriers patch on this site: http://pferrie.tripod.com/misc/dosbox.htm. I unpacked this into my cm2 folder and this worked.
I repeated all of the above steps, but instead of executing cm2.exe, I executed the patch file; cm295bfx (or cm295fix - for me it was the b-fix that worked). I was finally met by the familiar sight of my childhood favourite game. This works! I have seen many posts about this, but none that states how they make it work, so thought I would post my solution.

However! The game is running very, very slowly - it is almost unplayable, especially the matches.
I tried all the steps from the "how to speed up dosbox" guide;
- closing all other programs
- trying full screen
- turning off the scalers
- turning off the sound
- making more memory available in the .conf-file
- setting the core to dynamic
- setting frameskip to 10 and cycles to an unbelievable 1.5 mio!
Still the game is too slow.

What can I do?

btw - I am using Windows 7

Reply 10 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thekman wrote:

OMG this is really working!!!!! I found my Italian disk but can't find my Scottish disk for love nor money. Can somebody please upload their disk via torrent or put a link to a download. I've turned this house upside down looking for my disk, grrr!!

We generally don't discuss sharing of old commercial software here. You should keep those discussions confined to places that allow it. There are too many legal issues involved.

Reply 12 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thekman wrote:

ok sliderider, it will turn up one day when 'm not looking for it, 🤣.

There are plenty of places in the wonderful world of the internet to find that sort of thing that you shouldn't need to discuss it here, is all I'm saying. 😉

Reply 14 of 19, by thekman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sliderider found the disk mate, it was in an old desktop. Must have been trying to get it working years ago and forgot all about it. As to other comments posted in this thread of recent, get a grip, and a life. It's not illegal as adandonware and if anybody wants a copy just ask I'm happy to upload.

Reply 15 of 19, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thekman wrote:

get a grip, and a life. It's not illegal as adandonware

can't believe how lucky we are to have a legal expert here!

Do you understand that your opinion on whether or not it's illegal means absolutely nothing? Do you understand that big organizations, with big legal teams, like the ESA, DO consider it illegal?
They've tried and succeeded to in shutting down "abandonware" sharing websites in the past. Do you WANT this to happen to this forum too?

Yes, this situation fucking sucks. And yes, it would have been awesome if these games could be shared freely. But the policy here is in order to protect this forum and its users.

Reply 16 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thekman wrote:

sliderider found the disk mate, it was in an old desktop. Must have been trying to get it working years ago and forgot all about it. As to other comments posted in this thread of recent, get a grip, and a life. It's not illegal as adandonware and if anybody wants a copy just ask I'm happy to upload.

Abandonware IS illegal, whether you like it or not. Copyright terms are long, typically 75+ years, which means no computer program ever written is outside of it's copyright protection unless the last copyright holder went out of their way to place it in the public domain. It does not matter whether the program is currently being sold commercially or not. If an abandonware site receives a take down notice from a copyright holder they must comply or face criminal penalties. Just because a site has not yet received a take down notice for a particular program does not mean the copyright holder has waived his rights. I think where the confusion comes in is some people confuse trademark law with copyright law. A trademark can be considered legally abandoned if it goes unused or undefended from violators for a long period, but copyrights can not. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point a site like GOG didn't decide to go after the abandonware sites because legally they own the distribution rights to the games on their site and anyone else providing those games for download is stealing from them.