VOGONS

First post, by azerty_42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I recently have installed Carmageddon on my computer (Win Vista), at first, I didn't have any sound but I find a way to configure and solve this problem but since, the game lags. Which it didn't do when the sound was off.

Does someone know how to fix this ? I'm running it with D-Fend Reloaded and the 0.73 version of DosBox, in window mode.

By the way, there's another problem, when I turn on the fullscreen mode using Alt-Enter, the game freezes completely. If someone knows how to fix this problem too, it would be very nice.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 13, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"By the way, there's another problem, when I turn on the fullscreen mode using Alt-Enter, the game freezes completely. If someone knows how to fix this problem too, it would be very nice."

In dosbox's config file, change output to opengl or overlay.

Reply 3 of 13, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're going to be disappointed if you expect a resolution to this issue any time soon.

DOSBox will need a full overhaul before we have any hope of getting Carmageddon running at acceptable frame rates.

😢

Last edited by Urizen123 on 2010-01-18, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies if that came across as ungrateful wd, but what I meant is that there's obviously still several challenges ahead before we can play more graphics intensive games like Carmageddon in DOSBox.

I'm not trying to diminish the hard work you've put into the program, I'm just letting azerty_42 know a solution is currently unavailable.

Reply 10 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well no need to get all tech-y on someone who doesn't know DOSBox very well.

azerty_42, i didn't try Carmageddon in DOSBox yet, but i think it can't be more demanding than other games running in SVGA resolution. You'll need a fast system for emulating demanding games. On my old P4/2.6 Ghz, SVGA games were running at a playable but not very smooth framerate. The switch to a modern Dual Core system made a huge difference there. Trying different "output" modes has already been suggested. You should fiddle with the "cycles" setting, too (can be done on-the-fly with hotkeys, see the DOSBox readme for details). You can estimate the max number of cycles your system can handle by running a demanding game and raising the cyles count until DOSBox uses _nearly_ 100% of your CPU. You can also change "frameskip" on-the-fly. On my system, Gulikoza's DOSBox build with the D3D output setting (not implemented in vanilla DOSBox) seemed always a bit faster than the standard DOSBox build, but i guess that depends on the graphics card you're using (various ATI's here).

EDIT: hmmm, on a second thought, not sure if you're trying to run the game in "High Res Mode" or not. The stuff described above is valid for normal VGA resolutions, too.

Reply 12 of 13, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried carmageddon right now: runs smoothly with all max details on classic mode (no 3dfx patch). Using latest dosbox svn. On a core i7 860.
It was laggy on my previus core2 p7350.

If you desperately need more speed, I suggest to use latest nglide + one of the available builds with 3dfx patch... you'll gain beautiful graphics too 😉

Note: no matter what processor you got and it's not dosbox's fault...svga software mode compared to vga is slow as hell!

Last edited by Myloch on 2011-03-03, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To azerty_42: Look if you have a CARM95 folder on your Carmageddon cdrom. If you have the 32 bit version of Windows Vista you can run the setup.exe in that folder and if you are in luck Vista installs and runs it. I run it on my XP system very well. Also use the -hires commandline option in the shortcut, Carmageddon goes too fast in lowres, so use it to get acceptable speeds. If you have the 64 bit version of Windows then it probably gives you an error message and you can't install it. Maybe there is a workaround for that, but I don't know of any.

Edit: 🤣, old topic