VOGONS

First post, by DisposableHero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been having huge problems installing this game on Vista, partly because it is old and largely unheard of (so little help via google), and partly because its biggest fan base (and consequently, most technical help) is in Czech! Any help at all would be apprecaited.

Research and google translator has taught me enough to know I need to use DosBox, and I've been doing pretty well on learning to pick it up. I'm trying to run this off of a .bin image. This is my present plan of attack:

Z:\>mount C "C:\Users\me\Documents\DOSBox stuff\My Game"
Drive C is mounted...
Z:\>imgmount d "C:\Users\me\Documents\DOSBox stuff\My Game\Spcross.bin" -t iso
MSCDEX installed
Drive D is mounted...

Z:\>c:
C:\>d:
D:\>install.exe
Install to C:\>Games\Spell

Everything up to this point runs fine, and the installer promptly installs the game right up until the sound configuration menu pops up, hangs for a few seconds, and closes. (In fact, its rather similar to this problem posted here: Spellcross (czech version) instalation problem). I go into the game directory where it has installed and configure the sound settings myself (using sound blaster or 100% compatible), then load up DosBox again and repeat the above up until install.exe.

Instead I reach c:\ and, browsing the dir function, locate the .exe (C:\games\spell\spelcros.exe):

Stub exec failed
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

Cutting a long story short, I discover that the correct command is 'c:\games\spell\dos4gw games\spell\spelcros.exe.'

At this point, I get the following two lines:

DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-Time Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994

That would appear to me like it is the credentials for the game as it starts to launch, but nothing ever happens. I'm still sat in DOSBox, even with the .cue mounted via DaemonTools, and the 1.01 Eng patch applied. Going into the directory and double-clicking the application brings up a DOS window with what looks to be the same two lines, for an instant and then its gone.

In the link I quoted, the guy appeared to have got his game runnign anyway, despite this problem, so I can only figure I'm missing something else vital. I'm trying to get my head around what was said in that other topic in case it helps, but its slow going. Which isn't suprising, as I've only been doing this for... what, 4 hours? And before that had never heard of DosBox. In any case, I'm pretty stumped, and I'd greatly appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Reply 3 of 10, by DisposableHero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
Did you do […]
Show full quote

Did you do

CD \GAMES\SPELL
and then
SPELCROS.EXE

?

You mean try the .exe thats on the .bin image? There isn't one, according to d:/dir. I also tried going d:\> c:\games\spel\spelcros.exe, with the same two line results as above, unless you meant something different by 'CD \GAMES\SPELL'

It seems el_PuSHeR is right, but if I am installing it wrong, I have no idea how to install it correctly other than the method I am using.

EDIT: As DOSBox goes from the installer to the sound configuration, it gives this message just before closing:

Exit to error: Illegal descriptor type 9 for int D

Last edited by DisposableHero on 2009-12-20, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by DisposableHero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funnily enough, I never thought to look in the manual, and it was slightly helpful. I discovered that the command I should be using to run the game is simply 'spelcros', not .exe or whatever. This has led to a small breakthrough.

I know install to default c:\ in DOSBox, which on my PC would read "C:\Users\me\Documents\DOSBox stuff\My Game" (Before I was installing to "C:\Users\me\Documents\DOSBox stuff\My Game\Game\Spell"). Then, I run the installer using loadfix -256 install. The sound set up still crashes, but when I go back into DOSBox and run C:\loadfix -256 spelcros, the game boots up! Hoorah! Video and all!

However...

It then asks me for the CD. D'oh! Now this is weird, because I imgmount the .bin as 'd'. There is a file in the spellcross directory called Spelcros.CD which contains simply 'D' and as near as I can tell, this should work by ignoring the request for CD. But it doesn't.

I'm getting so close now, I can feel it!

Further testing has revealed that loadfix -256 had nothing to do with it: it seems that simply altering the directory the game was installed to worked. Now if only I could figure out why its looking for a CD...

Reply 6 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DisposableHero wrote:

... I imgmount the .bin as 'd'...

You should imgmount the cue file instead, it works fine then.

BTW, my previous reply has to do with changing the "Current Working Directory" before actually starting a game. Lots of games require you to do so. For the reference, I also get the dosbox crash when - after installation - the miles sound setup is started. Simply restarting dosbox, with the same mounts, makes soundset run correctly. After configuring the sound settings, the game plays fine over here (didn't change a single dosbox setting).

Reply 8 of 10, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I may be mistaken, but I do believe there is a patch from the developers that allows the game to run in XP. I have the game and remember being able to play full screen in XP at the normal gamespeed (no slow down needed). I may be wrong though.

Reply 10 of 10, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@WD - I wouldn't say just because I remember it for XP that it wouldn't work in Windows 7, but probably not Linux. But developers who provide these patches long after the game was released is still a great thing.