VOGONS

Quake music

Topic actions

First post, by Raffaello_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have a question: how do you get Quake music work on DosBox? I tried to mount the Quake cd image following the instructions (mount d f:\ -t cdrom); DosBox says "MSCDEX mounted subdirectory: limited support" and the game says "Cd-Audio Initialized" when I launch it, but I can't hear any music. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake music is Redbook Audio. Try creating a BIN/CUE image and mount it with the imgmount command.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 10, by Raffaello_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have tried to convert my Quake image to ISO and I tried to mount it with the imgmount command, but the music still doesn't play; as I said before, the game recognises the CD 'cause it says "CD Audio Initialized". Do I really need to convert it to BIN/CUE?

Death Rally Online Group: http://cid-0009df616233b826.groups.live.com/

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAIR, Quake didn't even really care about which CD you inserted once it was installed, you could easily have ANY AudioCD inserted and Quake would play the tracks from that...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 10, by Raffaello_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! Thanks a lot! It didn't work with the BIN image, but it worked with the CUE one! Awesome! Thank you very much everyone indeed! 😁 😎

Death Rally Online Group: http://cid-0009df616233b826.groups.live.com/

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

CUE is just the layout of the BIN Image, so you really shouldn't delete the BIN now or else you will lose the music again 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by Raffaello_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

CUE is just the layout of the BIN Image, so you really shouldn't delete the BIN now or else you will lose the music again 😀

Yeah I know I musn't delete that! Lol! I was just saying that we have to mount the CUE image for all the DOS games requiring a CD in! A new interesting discovery! 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought that was common knowledge, but ok =]

You can use CCD (CloneCD) images too with Daemon Tools 3.47, also supports older versions of Alcohol and Blindwrite images. I much prefer other methods of creating bin/cue of my games to play on dosbox however.