VOGONS

First post, by john_i_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got Redneck Rampage running really well in dosbox-0.73. The one oddity is that when a track finished playing on the cd audio, it never starts another track or restarts the current one.

I can bring up the in-game menu and select the "8-track player", and select other tracks which play with no problems.

Was is the normal behavior for redneck rampage to quit playing music after a track stopped? It has been many years, but I thought back when I played this on DOS it went on to the next track when one ended.

Either my memory is failing me and that is the way it is supposed to work, and the next track is not playing when run in dosbox.

I am using a bin/cue dump of my original cd to provide the audio (I am not using mp3 or ogg).

Reply 2 of 5, by john_i_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mount the CD like this:

IMGMOUNT D "/home/johnm/Games/RedneckRampage/rr.cue" -t iso -fs iso

This is what the cue file looks like:
FILE "rr.bin" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 24:45:29
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 28:33:31
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 31:37:33
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 35:40:35
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 40:09:37
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 42:19:39
TRACK 08 AUDIO
INDEX 01 45:22:41
TRACK 09 AUDIO
INDEX 01 48:42:43
TRACK 10 AUDIO
INDEX 01 55:12:45

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I heard more complaints about build engine games not repeating audio tracks. So you are not alone with your problem.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you use the "8 track player" in the game's menu to switch between all the tracks, it becomes clear that only alternate tracks are playing in-game. The several minutes of silence is the length of the tracks that aren't heard. It only happens with IMGMOUNT or MOUNT -cdrom -ioctl_dx. The issue is in both Redneck Rampage and the Rides Again sequel, but not in Shadow Warrior, so apparently not all Build Engine games are affected.

I reported the specifics of the issue to the DOSBox devs, so it might be fixed at some point. As a workaround, you can mount the CD another way. For example, when using a disc image, you can mount the image in Daemon Tools or the like and then mount that virtual drive, but just be sure not to use the -ioctl_dx option when doing so.