VOGONS

Tomb Raider 3Dfx

Topic actions

First post, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I have a problem with tomb raider, I can start the game in 3Dfx mode with gulikoza's build and dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta2 glide2x.dll, but the game sometimes drives me crazy after I exit the game and start again I cant start a new game nor can I load a save game. All the rolling menu icons get to the middle of the screen but nothing happens, I can hear the music but that's all. After a few tries I can start "Lara's home" and from ther I can load a save game, or start a new one. Once exiting and restarting every function is good but this can happen any time. Does ggVoodooSetup or dosbox need some tweeking to get rid of this bug?

One other thing, I've downloaded and installed the 3Dfx version of Unfinished Business free bonus mison for the game but it dos the same, I can see the rolling green 3Dfx logo as allways and I got the menu but can't start a new game, music in the backround but no loading...

Reply 2 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you it seems you're right, Tomb Raider works with OpenGlide, I only tried it with dgVoodoo dll because in carmageddon's case openglide doesn't work. But the game still stucs at the manu when I try to load or start a new game.

Reply 3 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you might as well try this setup I made
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1.html#advancedsol
(search for dosbox solution)

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 4 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks interesting, but could you tell me essentially how to tweak gulikoza's pre compilled dobox config to run Unfinished business in 3Dfx mode? I couldn't engage the game because the game allwasy stucks in the main menu. I set direct3d to graphics, opengl doesn't work because of a dosbox crash

Reply 5 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well you extract the glide patch + dxd9 files (overwriting)
then install trub being sure to make it via 3dfx (not software) pack
then set glide=true, output=direct3d
that's about all there's to it, I guess

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 6 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gulikoza's pre compilled CVS already has the glide and a dozen more patches, I have that directX 9 stuff installed, I set direct3d and also have the 3Dfx version installed, yet it stuck at the main menu after I want to start a new game. I don't know what else to do... 😵

Reply 8 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I think yo, so here is what am I doing,

I. I downloaded gulikoza's CVS with the glide patch in it (I already installed d3dx9_30.dll)

II. Writen a new dosbox config file, added a bit more memory for 3Dfx apps (31) set output to direct3d, enabled glide disabled printer and enabled GUS, also automounted the Tomb Raider CD

III. I've installed Tomb Raider insde dosbox set soundcard to gravis ultrasound, replaced tob.exe with the "VOORUSH" 3Dfx patch.

IV. The game runs good in 3Dfx mode at first start, I've backuped and installed the 3Dfx version of Unfinished business.

V. Start the game from the TOMBUB.EXE nice 3Dfx logo and then the menu and music too. I select New Game and ENTER. The music is still there but the program is frozen, no error on console but the game does not start.

Reply 10 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unbeliveable you guys GUS was the cause of all my problems with the game, this have been a good lesson for me nonetheless. By the way in DBTR4 there is a TOMB3Dfx.EXE is seems to do exactly the same as the Eidos patch, what is the difference between the two?

Reply 11 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that's not so unbelievable 😉
I guess you were putting too much into .conf
like set soundcard to gravis ultrasound, what's the need for it? soundblaster's just alright

as for that 3dfx exe, I know, no difference that I recall 😀
I just put it there to ease the setup work for the user, to get things preconfigured, you know

Reply 12 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I disabled GUS Tomb Raider runs great but sometimes the game still freze at the menu, but at least something appears at the dosbox console: "8 bit irq pending" this appears on the console in infinite mode 'till I turn it off. I autodeceted the Sound Blaster 16 card in setup.exe, it is the second best card after Gravis Ultrasound, but still this one isn't perfect too. Is there any solution for this? Or a sound system patch that fixes this?

Reply 13 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no, I always went sb16 since 0.6x

like:

sbtype=sb16 sbbase=220 irq=7 dma=1 hdma=5 […]
Show full quote

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5

in the .conf

that's a bit strange, since I guess it always autodetected as soundblaster 16

admittedly I didn't test 0.73 that intensively yet, but by what I saw so far, no special freezes.

Reply 14 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is exaclty what happens:

errort.th.png

I have no idea wht this means but it would be nice if it could be fixed, Tomb Raider works but about every second start off the game is good, a rest will freez in the menu with this 8 bit pending thing.

I also upload the conf file to for re checking, and I even refreshd the DOS4GW to the latest 2.01.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    13.61 KiB
    Downloads
    618 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

first of all
don't

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C C

mount c c:\[some_directory_of your choice]
but not c:
that's no good practice and it can be dangerous indeed.

EDIT
as for the 8bit irq pending issue
see this thread
Topic 21976

btw you happen to use a cue/bin image don't you
does cdaudio work alright?

Last edited by gidierre on 2009-10-18, 21:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 22, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
szekeres2009 wrote:

C is not my root "C:" drive it is a folder in the dosbox root directory.

huh? what's that?
I'm afraid this is lost on me
now what's the path of the folder you say?
c:\<insert here>

EDIT
anyway why not try the zipped setup I made
that was made w/0.72 and shouldn't give any irq pending msg afaict

Reply 18 of 22, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a folder named "C" in the same directory where dosbox.exe is that is why I use this: "mount C C" this will set the C folder as the virtual C:\. As for the error Ifount this: ArchimedeanDynasty crashes since CVS-Build 2009-06-14 it seems that this error was not present in the 0.72 version so that can be the reason why you haven't came up with this.

Reply 19 of 22, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The irq pending issue might be the result of some patch in my build. This was actually done by dosbox authors but sometimes I have the feeling it occurs more frequently in my build then plain cvs...I will try to get it fixed in the next build. I found out the menu does not freeze if the cycles are set to let's say 75K...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza