VOGONS

First post, by Sinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am confused on this one, first off let me explain how I "thought" CPU cycles worked. I thought that if you had a 2 GHz machine that you could use up to 20000 cpu cycles. Now, having said that I have a 2.5 Ghz system but yet I can go all the way up to 60000 CPU cycles on Duke3d and it still doesn't use all of my CPU. Duke3D's speed is smooth, is it safe to use such high CPU cycles? Why doesn't my CPU max out at around 25000 like it does with many other games?

screenshotnv.jpg

I am using Dosidle if that makes a difference and the core is set to auto.

Reply 2 of 7, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, dosbox will only use 1 cpu core so maximum usage is 50% on a dual core system (25% on quad or 12,5% on HT i7 😉). Second, there is no correlation between cycles and cpu frequency. Some games can have higher cycles and use less host cpu % and vice versa. Best is to use max, this will use all available cpu (and not too much...)

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 7, by SwissCM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Best is to use max, this will use all available cpu (and not too much...)

Using Max can cause stability issues with some poorly coded games. It should work most of the time but if you ever experience any problems it may be a good idea to used a fixed cycle rate.

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SwissCM wrote:

Best is to use max, this will use all available cpu (and not too much...)

Using Max can cause stability issues with some poorly coded games.

I've had no problems using Max with Duke3D.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by Sinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay max works good for duke3d but it breaks alot of my other games and applications running under Windows 3.1. Is there a way I can press a key and have Dosbox switch to max without editing Dosbox.conf? Or at the least a command to enter in to the command line to change CPU cycle settings?