VOGONS

First post, by Stickman127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly, may I ask if there are downloads to the full version of Daggerfall?
Or is it only exclusive in CD?

Now apparently there are downloads in certain websites.
I downloaded the V.073 Win32 Installer of Dosbox, and of course I followed the
specific guidelines to get it started.

Now then comes installing Daggerfall. I made a new folder in my C: category
along with the Dosbox file in its own folder. The games folder is called oldgames.
As I downloaded a Daggerfall file, or I assumed I did. I tried to run it, ending up
bringing a dark screen asking if I would update it with the decisions y/n.
Typing the y, it immediately close. Okay little problem.. So I go on dosbox, followed the mounting, and wrote down the name of the file, same message. I thought I fixed it until I pressed yes. Then it said that its not on the daggerfall directory or a primary directory.
Then coming into a confusing trance, I research on how to solve it, not seeing what I have to do before typing the name of the file.
It was dag213, if anyone wants to know the file.

There has to be something to do before it.
I read on a guide that said you have to install it, of course.
But within Dosbox.
# Start the installer: D:\install.

That line confused me quite a bit. I sort of tried to type it in Dosbox but nothing
in particular happened, that or I'm not doing it right...
Sort of need help in typing down all the required things in dosbox to play daggerfall.
Please post step by step instructions or simple answers that can solve this whole problem.

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Firstly, may I ask if there are downloads to the full version of Daggerfall?

Yes.
Are they legal?
No.

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unlike its predecessor TES:Arena, TES:Daggerfall is not freeware. Get an official copy of the game (not some file you download somewhere) and try with that.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 12, by Stickman127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the only true way to actually play Daggerfall is to buy a CD.
Depends on the availability. Are they still in stores? Are they easy to find?
And thanks for the guide, but seeing as its illegal to download... Hmm..

Reply 4 of 12, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, it is often quite pricey: such as on eBay. There's one listed for $5 there but you can bet it'll be much more than that when the auction is over in 3 days. I'm sure if you look around you can find some place cheaper.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 12, by Stickman127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They can only be sold in eBay..?
Of course Bethesda halted any more developments on the game, its not like they'll go out of their way
to making more.. But I mean is there perhaps certain places they might have it? Donation places such as Goodwill
or perhaps pawn shops? Or maybe somewhere in game shops?

Reply 7 of 12, by UrielDagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm glad I kept my copy of Daggerfall now.. I threw out most of my DOS games several years back because I thought I'd never get them to work again.

I'm hoping that one day we'll see Daggerfall on something like GOG.. Not sure if it's 100% possible, though seeing as how I've talked to a few Bethesda employees in the past, and it seems they lost the Daggerfall source code in a hard drive crash sometime in the late 1990s.

Reply 8 of 12, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, that sucks about the source code loss. Maybe there should be some kind of campaign to try to look and see if there are any of the famous old games whose source code is still around, gathering dust in some old drives in a storage bin somewhere in game companies' warehouses. They can't be all lost, can they?

Reply 9 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UrielDagda wrote:

I'm hoping that one day we'll see Daggerfall on something like GOG.. Not sure if it's 100% possible, though seeing as how I've talked to a few Bethesda employees in the past, and it seems they lost the Daggerfall source code in a hard drive crash sometime in the late 1990s.

They don't need the source code to re-release the game. They just need to bundle the game with DOSBox, and voila.

As the rumor goes, they lost it when they moved their office from Bethesda to Rockville back in 1997.

But yeah, a re-release of Daggerfall on GOG would be nice 😀