VOGONS

Inner Worlds

Topic actions

First post, by A-Red

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to run Inner Worlds in 0.72, default settings--which by all accounts is supposed to work. I get through a short intro sequence and get to the title screen, and then when I press any key the game goes black. I've tried all the sound cards, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Reply 1 of 11, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In a situation like that, I don't think that the wrong sound card would have an effect like that. Would you mind giving more information, though, such as how you're mounting your drives, how you installed the game, etc?

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 2 of 11, by A-Red

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've played tons of games with DOSBox, and I'm mounting the same way as always--"mount c c:\iw."

as for installation, I'm just taking the contents of a zip folder and putting them in a folder, c:\iw. I ran setup, which is nothing but a sound card choice, and then ran the game. Nothing I haven't done before with other games, so unfortunately I doubt it explains much.

EDIT: If it sounds like the files are corrupted or something, I have another copy downloaded from a different source--but that one causes me a seemingly even worse problem. The download is an install exe, which I run (using DOSBox) and which unpacks the files into c:\iw. I then run setup and the game as described above--and in this case, it doesn't quite make it to playing the game--it gets to "initializing sound," and then hangs there forever. Again, it makes no difference which sound card I choose.

Reply 3 of 11, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to track down the game in question, but its distribution is a little bizarre. There is an official website that has declared the game freeware, but they do not offer the game from their own site because it costs them too much money, so they offer the game to anybody willing to pay for the bandwidth. They do mention that you can seek out the game elsewhere, but I can't find it anywhere except on the abandonware sites. I'd probably be able to help a little better if I could find the darned thing. =P

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 4 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://liberatedgames.com/game.php?game_id=104

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

My DOSBOX 0.72 config for Inner Worlds 1.2

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    2.79 KiB
    Downloads
    147 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBOX 0.72 config for Inner Worlds 1.2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by A-Red

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The version linked above is the same one that gives me the "initializing sound" lockup.

I haven't managed to run the game with that conf file because I'm unfamiliar with some of the things it changes, particularly the keyboard layout. Perhaps I understand this whole thing less than I thought. I always run things the same way--create a folder in C, put game files in it, mount it, and make any configuration changes I need to in DOSBox. I'll see if I can find the info I need to use the .conf in the walkthroughs on this site. That said, my problem appears to be sound-oriented, and if anyone can suggest a value I can configure to fix it, I'm all ears.

Reply 7 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The lock-up is probably caused by GUS being enabled.

Set gus=false, run SETUP, select SoundBlaster 16, and be happy.

Reply 11 of 11, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox fails to initialise something in the GUS support.
I saw similar behaviour with the Angel95 demo, which hangs unless I run DemoVT first. I'm still looking into what's missing.