VOGONS

First post, by Magnus89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I’m having an issue with Doom in Dosbox. I can only access the game one time after I install it and set the settings and launch through that screen. After that, it will not allow me to launch again from the same install – I have to delete the folders contents, remount the drive, reinstall, reset the settings and then I can launch it after I do all of that (it refuses to work the same way when done directly through the mounted drive's setup file also). I know there's supposed to be a file in there somewhere which will automatically launch the game when typed into the dosbox, but I haven't been able to find which one it is, even with "dir" and typing each of the listed directories names - none work.

Also, I can’t figure out how to keep the virtual drive folder mounted (unless I am mistaken, you’re supposed to be able to keep it mounted right?). Other than those two little snags, everything works perfectly – including audio. It’s just really frustrating to have to do all of this to play this game each time, without being able to save and restart a saved game...

I am using http://www.dosgames.com version of the game under 3D Shooters section.

Thank you in advance, any help here is greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 11, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How are you mounting everything? I checked out the shareware version you're using, and it worked. Here's what I did:

extracted the zip to z:\test\doominst
added "mount c z:\test" to dosbox.conf autoexec section (without the quotes)
launched dosbox
c:
cd doominst
install

The installer installed it to c:\dooms (i.e. z:\test\dooms). Afterwards you could run it in dosbox simply by:
c:
cd dooms
doom

You don't need the installer afterwards. You can delete the doominst directory.

Reply 2 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Since you are using an illegal copy I suggest you take your questions to the place you obtained it. Experience tells me, that your problem is not caused by a problem with DOSBox, but with how the copy was made.

The question you need to ask yourself now is this:

Is my time spent in getting this illegal copy to work in DOSBox worth more to me, than the costs of buying a legally licensed copy of the game on eBay, Amazon or some other reputable site?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 11, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It works for me. Steps:

1) Download shareware version from dosgames.com (doom19s.zip)
2) Extract zip to directory on my machine, call it c:\Games\Foo
3) Start dosbox
4) mount c: c:\Games\Foo
5) c:
6) install
7) Answer (all defaults, except controller is keyboard + mouse)
8: Games runs, shoot things, blah blah
9) Exit game
10) cd "dooms" (the default directory created by the install)
11) type "doom"
12) More shoot shoot etc

After this you could modify a dosbox.conf to automatically do the mount, but basically it works, something particular about your install is messing you up.

-Frob

Last edited by frobme on 2009-04-27, 04:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Works for me. Please see attached config-file.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    3.15 KiB
    Downloads
    124 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox config-file for Doom v. 1.9 (Shareware)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 11, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you running Windows Vista, by any chance? Vista has some strange quirks regarding saving files in directories where the current user does not have write privileges - either make sure the privileges are set properly for your user on the folder where you're installing the games, or run DOSBox as Administrator. Or turn off User Account Control.

If you're not running Vista, kindly disregard this message.

(Also, MiniMax, do you ever actually look at the links people post, or just assume every site contains abandonwarez?)

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 7 of 11, by Magnus89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed thisto the letter, though they didn't specify how exactly to launch after it was installed. Thank you, I'll try your guy's methods and see how it goes.

Also, I honestly wasn't aware that this was illegal (as far as I have been able to read, this is not illegal though like I said, I honestly don't know for sure). I made an effort to find a legit copy to buy, however I was unable to find any up for sale at the moment. Frankly, I can't afford $20 or more on this right now anyway. Thanks for the info though, I'll keep that in mind.

I am using Windows XP on this computer, I do have Vista so that will come in handy if I wanted to use this on the laptop, thanks!

Edit: Just tried again, it works... although now I need to figure out why the sound is choppy (wasn't before, with the one-time deal). Thanks again!

Reply 9 of 11, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not illegal to run the shareware version. The cheapest and easiest way I know to get the full commercial version is via Steam, where it costs $10 and is distributed as a Dosbox install, ironically enough.

-Frob

Reply 10 of 11, by Magnus89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, so I had it working just fine. Now it won't launch again. When I mount the drive, everything's cool. But when I do "cd dooms" and "doom" it gives me this: "You are still in Z:\ change to c mount" or similar. Anything I can do?

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no "dooms" or "doom" folder on your Z: drive, you need to switch to the C: drive.

So:
mount c c:\oldgames
C:
cd \doom

CD is Change Directory not Change Drive

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline