VOGONS

First post, by mratzloff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

User-adjustable CD-ROM speed?

Having spent the last half hour looking, I assume that there's no way to force a certain CD-ROM speed? I would love to see that added. I've copied all four Wing Commander III discs onto my hard drive. During installation the installer warned me that my CD-ROM speed was "impossible", and when I play the game the movies only play for a few seconds before "hanging" (the game itself doesn't hang, just the movies; pressing Esc skips them). Of course, with Wing Commander III half the point is the movies!

Otherwise the game runs great! Good work, guys.

Edit: I split this post off the the DOSBox Wishlist thread, because it I works for me (with CD-images), and it appears it also work for Freddo.

MiniMax

Reply 1 of 2, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mratzloff wrote:

User-adjustable CD-ROM speed?

Having spent the last half hour looking, I assume that there's no way to force a certain CD-ROM speed? I would love to see that added. I've copied all four Wing Commander III discs onto my hard drive. During installation the installer warned me that my CD-ROM speed was "impossible", and when I play the game the movies only play for a few seconds before "hanging" (the game itself doesn't hang, just the movies; pressing Esc skips them). Of course, with Wing Commander III half the point is the movies!

This sounded very strange to me, so I made an iso of the first WC3 disc and imgmounted it and installed it, and indeed, the movies didn't hang but worked for me.

Just used 0.72 and the default settings.

Last edited by Freddo on 2009-04-21, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.