VOGONS

First post, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

well, i don't know if this is the right description :
For now i have a separate .conf for games and for windows 3.11.

The autoexec section for the one for windows is :

[autoexec]
mount d k:\ -ioctrl -t cdrom
imgmount d ".\drive_C\win311\SPACE\ISPACE.iso" -t iso -fs iso
mount c .\drive_C\win311 -freesize 1000
c:
cls
cd windows
win

For games it's :
[autoexec]
mount d j:\ -ioctrl -t cdrom
#mount d E:\Dosbox\Drive_C\USNFGOLD\CDDATA
mount c .\drive_C\ -freesize 500
c:
cls
dir/w/p

Also, the screen resolution is different (640 for games, 1024 for win).

What I would like is to use a single .conf and define required parameters with .bat file (I use a "start.bat" for each game or app).

For windows "start.bat" I tried :
windowresolution=1024x768
cd windows
win

"windowsresolution" does nothing, and i got an error message for a sound thing.

Questions :
Can we pass a resolution argument in the bat file ? (to change dosbox window or fullscreen size)
Can we overide default mounting (found in dosbox.conf") with those used in the bat ?

thanks
Thanks

Reply 1 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Where on Earth did you find that -ioctrl option?

I never use the -fs option when mounting ISO's.

Yes, you can pass parameters to BAT-files.

Yes, changing windowresolution should work. Maybe try it with different output methods.

There is no default mountings in dosbox.conf, only the mountings you put there.

Virtual drives can be un-mounted using mount -u X.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
mount d k:\ -ioctrl -t cdrom imgmount d ".\drive_C\win311\SPACE\ISPACE.iso" -t iso -fs iso mount c .\drive_C\win311 -freesize 10 […]
Show full quote

cd windows
win

My question is, why do you first mount your k drive as d and then imgmount the inner space iso as d? Does this even work without an error?

Things to do to improve your Windows live 😀
change the batch file like this:

mount -u d
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
win

The set path is important for Windows, so all its programs work properly and %path% is important, so that all the stuff on z: still works 😀 (so I recommend this also for your windows only conf file - I did write this in the Windows 3.x guide on purpose 😀).
Your sound error might just vanish if the proper path and a temp dir are set. If not I'd recommend either reinstalling Windows 3.x according to the my guide Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide or just reinstalling the sound drivers (also according to my guide and also using the drivers linked to from my guide).
As for the windowresolution do you really need to set this? If you have the proper drivers installed in Windows 3.x the size of the DOSBox window will change automatically.

One more potential problem I see, I'm not sure if you can un-mount an imgmount, so maybe mount the inner space image to e and see if that works allright (I could test myself but I'm currently away on family business, so I can't test it)

Reply 3 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your replies 😀

MiniMax wrote:

Where on Earth did you find that -ioctrl option?

Dunno, I copied that from a website long ago.

MiniMax wrote:

I never use the -fs option when mounting ISO's.

I, again, copied/paste that, I don't even remember what it does.

MiniMax wrote:

Yes, you can pass parameters to BAT-files.
Yes, changing windowresolution should work. Maybe try it with different output methods.

I will try when I'm home. No effect with OpenGL, which I use.

MiniMax wrote:

There is no default mountings in dosbox.conf, only the mountings you put there.

I know, but I meant, I'd like to keep my single "dosbox.conf" for games, and just override (using batch) mounted drives there.
Of course I guess I could mount nothing in the .conf, and only do that at the batch "stage".

MiniMax wrote:

Virtual drives can be un-mounted using mount -u X.

So I could use my default .conf, unmounting those in the batch, then mounting other drives (still within the batch), I guess...

Reply 4 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your replies as well 😉

Dominus wrote:

My question is, why do you first mount your k drive as d and then imgmount the inner space iso as d? Does this even work without an error?

Haha, good question, I have to check when Im home, maybe there was a "#" which I didn't paste here...

Dominus wrote:
Things to do to improve your Windows live :) change the batch file like this: […]
Show full quote

Things to do to improve your Windows live 😀
change the batch file like this:

mount -u d
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
win

The set path is important for Windows, so all its programs work properly and %path% is important, so that all the stuff on z: still works 😀 (so I recommend this also for your windows only conf file - I did write this in the Windows 3.x guide on purpose 😀).

Will try that, didn't know about the "path" thing.

Dominus wrote:

Your sound error might just vanish if the proper path and a temp dir are set. If not I'd recommend either reinstalling Windows 3.x according to the my guide Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide or just reinstalling the sound drivers (also according to my guide and also using the drivers linked to from my guide).

I did install win 3.11 using your guide, but that was long ago (just after you wrote it or so).
To be clear, when I use the specific .conf for windows 3.11 (see above), I don't get any error message from windows, all works 100%, it's just when I use my game .conf (see above).
Will check when Im back home if the "path" thing helps.

Dominus wrote:

As for the windowresolution do you really need to set this? If you have the proper drivers installed in Windows 3.x the size of the DOSBox window will change automatically.

Mmmm, maybe when it's set to "original" (or whatever it's called, the default dosbox setting for that anyway). But I need the specify resolution as I use scaler=none. I mean I wouldn't need to set it for windows, where my driver is indeed set to 1024x768, but for games where it's 320x240 or so...

Dominus wrote:

One more potential problem I see, I'm not sure if you can un-mount an imgmount, so maybe mount the inner space image to e and see if that works allright (I could test myself but I'm currently away on family business, so I can't test it)

I will test this as well, but why would that be a problem anyway ?

Thanks again

Reply 5 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
emodel wrote:

Dunno, I copied that from a website long ago.

I, again, copied/paste that, I don't even remember what it does.

I have this great bridge I want to sell you. Really cheap. Special price for you!

Reply 6 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Because from what I read about your goal, using one default dosbox.conf and start games and windows from this config. So the problem I see is that when you have started Windows with this batch and then afterwards you want to play a dos cd-rom game you would need to mount either your cd-rom drive or another image to d. So if you can't unmount an imgmount you are stuck.
By the way since dosbox starts so quickly and easy with different config files and the -conf start parameter, I'm not bothering with a setup like you plan to do.
It's much easier to have different shortcuts with different conf files and just quickly exit dosbox and start another instance of it from another shortcut.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I have this great bridge I want to sell you. Really cheap. Special price for you!

I might be interested if it's long enough to cross my ocean of ignorance.

I just checked and those options were taken from the dosbox readme, i must have thought (at the time) it might be useful to have those.

Reply 8 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:
Because from what I read about your goal, using one default dosbox.conf and start games and windows from this config. So the pro […]
Show full quote

Because from what I read about your goal, using one default dosbox.conf and start games and windows from this config. So the problem I see is that when you have started Windows with this batch and then afterwards you want to play a dos cd-rom game you would need to mount either your cd-rom drive or another image to d. So if you can't unmount an imgmount you are stuck.
By the way since dosbox starts so quickly and easy with different config files and the -conf start parameter, I'm not bothering with a setup like you plan to do.
It's much easier to have different shortcuts with different conf files and just quickly exit dosbox and start another instance of it from another shortcut.

Ah I see. It's not a problem for me to close and relaunch dosbox, so the problem you mentioned isn't one to me.
I only wanted one .conf, because it's clean and also and mainly because i use a keyboard shortcut to run dosbox (alt+ctrl+d), and as I can have all the directories displayed at start (using dir /w), i thought it would have been perfect this way.

Still, I don't manage to get it working.
I have everything dos related in e:\dosbox, then in a subfolder called "drive_c", I got all of my apps and games.
Then there is a "win311" subfolder in this "drive_c" folder.
Then, windows 3.11 is finally installed in a "windows" folder inside of this "win311" folder.
I did this way, cos i wanted to have my win 3.11 games and apps in a specific windows 3.11 folder, not along with the dos games etc, so those are in their own folders in the win311 folder.

I guess I should mount "Drive_C\win311" as my c: drive, but that would mean unmounting first the c: drive already defined as in the .conf.
When I try to unmount the c: drive mounted in .conf to override it with one in batch, dosbox crashes.

And if I leave ""Drive_C" mounted as c:, windows doesn't find any of the .grp (wasnt only audio.grp, this was just the first one actually), even if I use your "path" things...

Reply 9 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
emodel wrote:

I just checked and those options were taken from the dosbox readme,

I don't think so.

emodel wrote:

When I try to unmount the c: drive mounted in .conf to override it with one in batch, dosbox crashes.

No on my system:
x.cfg =

[autoexec]
mount C .
C:
magic.bat
echo Done

and magic.bat =

mount -u C

Reply 10 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, i just tried 0.72 stable and it works, so it's a problem with cvs.
I use AEP build from today.
I tried a few other versions (always from this page) and they all crash.

Should I report something to someone ? 😀

Latest dosbox cvs on windows xp sp3

Reply 11 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
emodel wrote:

Should I report something to someone ? 😀

If you can create a small BAT-file that illustrates the problem, then please do.

Reply 12 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it's about mounting c: in .conf, then unmounting it in batch..., so a batch only will not do.

Any tip on the windowresolution=... batch parameter ?
Tried different outputs methods, but it doesn't help, no effect at all.

Thanks

Reply 13 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

attach everything needed to reproduce it please. I did change the handling of batchfiles a bit. It might be that the file that includes the unmount command is stored on the drive that you unmount ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 23, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emodel wrote:

hi

"windowsresolution" does nothing, and i got an error message for a sound thing.

Wouldn't you need to do something like "config sdl windowresolution=1024x768" since you're running from a bat file and there is no "windowresolution" command. But yeah it is kinda useless doing it that way.

Reply 15 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

attach everything needed to reproduce it please. I did change the handling of batchfiles a bit. It might be that the file that includes the unmount command is stored on the drive that you unmount ?

You're right, the batch file used to unmount c: is indeed on c:, but I don't see why it should be a problem, as at the time it's executed, c: is still mounted 😀
Still, it works with stable 0.72.

As to attach something, it's just "mount -u c:" beeing present in the batch file : instant crash.

Thanks

Reply 16 of 23, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
arablizzard2413 wrote:

Wouldn't you need to do something like "config sdl windowresolution=1024x768" since you're running from a bat file and there is no "windowresolution" command. But yeah it is kinda useless doing it that way.

It doesn't work either. How could it be useless ?
(please note that I always use windowed mode, never fullscreen)
I want interpolation, so I need scaler=none (at least with my nvidia card and output=opengl).
I want double size for games so I need to specify a 640x480 resolution, but I want 1024x768 for windows 3.11.
If I leave "windowresolution=original", then it indeed adapts to windows 3.11 and it gives me the expected 1024 resolution, but for games it gives me a 320 window, so it's unusable.

So being able to chose resolution from the command line doesn't seem that useless to me 😀

Reply 17 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well you see. after you unmount it file isn't available anymore. however the bat file itself isn't finished yet. there is still an empty last line present probably. I consider the crashing a bug, however it don't consider it a bug that umounting the drive that holds the bat file from that batfile doesn't work as intended.

Reply 19 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the crashing has been fixed. and unmounting the drive which holds the bat file which you run works as well. Just don't expect the bat file to continue after you remove the drive it is stored on.