VOGONS

Zork help

Topic actions

First post, by arinlares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used the forum search before asking this, but I'm still rather confused.

I'm in Windows XP SP3, on a 3.06Ghz Intel Celeron D Single-core processor, 1.5G of RAM, I can't get my motherboard info right now. I'm running DOSBox Portable (it's based on DOSBox 0.72, from PortableApps.com).

I mount my flash drive to C (using "mount c J:\PortableApps\DOSBoxPortable\Programs), the directory mounts properly. I then navigate to the newly mounted C ("C:\") type "Zork1\_ZORK1.com (the executable is stored at J:\PortableApps\DOSBoxPortable\Programs\Zork\_ZORK1.com). The output I get from DOSBox is "Fatal Error: Game file not found."

I downloaded Zork 1-3 here: http://www.LINK-DELETED/downloads.html

I think it's legal, but I'm not sure. Anyway, any pointers you guys can give will help. By reading the posts here, I read about something called the Zork Interpreter or something... Might that be what I need? If so, how do I use it?

MiniMax: Link deleted

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download Winfrotz. Copy the Zork .dat files to the Winfrotz directory.
Don't use DOSBox for Zork 1-3.

Also Zork 1-3 are not free.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-04-16, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Activision owns the rights to the Infocom catalogue. Years ago they ran temporary promotion where the Zork games were free to download, but it is long over. It is a persistent myth that they are now freeware.

Reply 5 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Off-topic: Ever tried the Activision web site? I HATE IT!!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 7, by Paratech2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oddly enough they were added to a PC gamer "retro CD" issue even though they weren't listed on the CD.

You might be able to find it on EBAY?

Attachments

Reply 7 of 7, by Paratech2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's where it's located on the CD.

I'm only posting again because it didn't let me post 2 pictures in a single post?

Attachments