VOGONS

First post, by iwishihad_osx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok so went to topic of "60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox".

I have oregon trail 2 burn on a CD which is already in my computer.
so i open up DOSBox. I type in Mount D E:\ -t cdrom
then it says under that line "MSCDEX installed."
next line under that says "Drive D is mounted as CDRom E:\"

then i type in the next thing it saids for me to do which isD:
then the next line says "D:\>"

then i type in the next thing it saids for me to do which is dir /w
then it gives me a directory and lists all the files. what do i type in next?
install?
it then says next line "illegal command: install"
this is what i can get to so far
dos.jpg

please help me what do i type in after that. i want to play Oregon Trail 2

Reply 3 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Wikipedia says this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_II):

System requirements

• Windows: 486 or higher; Windows 3.1 or higher (in 386 enhanced mode). Will work in Windows95; DOS 5.0 or higher; 256 color SVGA; 4M of RAM (8M recommended); 12M Hard Drive space; mouse; double speed CD ROM; Windows-compatible sound card. The game should run perfectly on Windows XP. The game also can run exceptionally on Windows Vista.
  • Macintosh: 68030 required (LC III or greater), 68040 or Power Mac recommended; System 7.1 or higher; 5M ram required (8M recommended); 13" display required (640x480, 256 colors); 12M Hard Drive space; double speed CD ROM

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
iwishihad_osx wrote:
I have oregon trail 2 burn on a CD which is already in my computer. […]
Show full quote

I have oregon trail 2 burn on a CD which is already in my computer.

<snip>

then it gives me a directory and lists all the files. what do i type in next?
install?
it then says next line "illegal command: install"

See - if you had bought the game legally, you would also have gotten a manual that told you how to install it.

The game can probably - with great effort - be made run in DOSBox, but I think you will be better off trying to get it to run in Vista (if the Wikipedia entry is telling the truth). I am not sure if Vista-64 will work, or if it is only doable with Vista-32. If it does not work with Vista-64, then you could try to

1) Buy the game.
2) Download and install MS Virtual PC.
3) Buy Windows 95.
4) Install Win95 in Virtual PC.
5) Install the game in Win95 in Virtual PC.

Reply 6 of 14, by iwishihad_osx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

why does God not want me to play this addicting game?
why would i get MS virtual PC when i already have windows on my computer? 🤣. its not like running linux or OS X

how would you do it threw DOSBox? if not anybody got any other suggestions?

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try installing the game on a 32bit OS and then copying the game directory to your computer.

It's possible the installer is 16bit but the game is 32bit. If you get the same error after doing the above then the game is 16bit and you will have to use a VM such as Virtual PC or Vmware to play the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
iwishihad_osx wrote:

how would you do it threw DOSBox? if not anybody got any other suggestions?

Almost the same way you would do it with Virtual PC. Maybe with Win3.11 installed in DOSBox instead of Win95. But it is more complicated through DOSBox than Virtual PC I think.

Reply 11 of 14, by iwishihad_osx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i download the 64bit version of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. It install to my computer how ever it won't work on the Operating System I have because I have Vista Home Premium.

The system requirements for virtual pc list all the operating system except HOME PREMIUM. WTF! Why does microsoft make 17 different editions for Vista? I don't get.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Vista 64-bit Editions Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 3

I'm thinking of downloading Vista Black edition for 64bit (of course) so that i can get virtual pc thus getting to play my favorite computer game Oregon Trail 2 🤣. what do you think of it?

btw: if i download virtual pc (its free), do i have to buy windows 95 or some bs to get it to play?

Reply 13 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
iwishihad_osx wrote:

btw: if i download virtual pc (its free), do i have to buy windows 95 or some bs to get it to play?

Yes sir!

Btw. There are 3-4 other virtual PC products out there you can try instead of MS VPC.

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Virtual PC does work on Vista Home, it's just not supported (So you can't call MS and expect any help)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline