VOGONS

First post, by qz33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I am trying to run Drive Image 2002 through DOSBox. I realize since this program requires very low level access tha this may not be possible.

This program runs straight on my pc pretty well. The problem though is that I am trying to use it on some drives that are SATA connected, NTFS formatted, and over the 137 GB barrier. I cannot figure out how to enable all of these different aspects in DOS itself and it was sugggested to me that I try DOSBox so I am.

Some information about my system.
Mainboard : MSI 865G/P/PE Neo2 (MS-6728)
Chipset : Intel i865G
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce4 MX 440 [NV17.2]
Hard Disk : Maxtor (20 GB)
Hard Disk : MAXTOR (160 GB)
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (80 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (400 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : BENQ DVD DD DW1640
Network Card : Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (November 2006)

When I start up this is what I get.

imagecenter1.png

Then it says EMM386 is running. Available memory is limited to 32MB.

imagecenter2.png

and finally before it automatically exits it says Error # 88 Unable to find the drive specified.

imagecenter3.png

So I guess the question is does anyone here think this may be possible?

So far I have been able to find these bits and pieces.
http://www.fixya.com/support/p148499-symantec … -10833/page-135

and

https://forums.onforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3619

which links to here http://www.nvplanet.com/forums/index.php?show … indpost&p=33201

which I cannot find anywhere.

If any additional information is needed I will try to get it.

Reply 1 of 10, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox is a full PC emulator intended for games. It will not give programs direct access to your hardware, you are essentially looking at the wrong solution.

Checkout FreeDOS instead; it's an operating system intended to run native on your PC.

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or don't use a drive imaging program that relies on MS-DOS.

It's 2009 use a imaging program that relies on Linux or Windows.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Agreed. Not a good idea. Unless you have some old images that you desperately needs to restore, use a newer program.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 10, by qz33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^Someone in another computer forum, Computer Hope.

Do any other drive image programs include the ability to alter partition records directly? I want make changes to the MBR and PBR directly which is likely out of the realm for anything running within windows.

Reply 7 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What can you do with the MBR in DOS that you cannot do in Windows? (There are tons of Windows utilities to do this)

and what exactly are you doing with the MBR?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 10, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but go get RIP and use the included fdisk/ntfsprogs to edit various things (I'm sure there's a program there to manipulate FAT, but I haven't dealt with FAT systems in ages).

Anyway, this is all out of scope for this forum...

Reply 10 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
qz33 wrote:

^Someone in another computer forum, Computer Hope.

It seems they chose the right name for the forum, "hope" instead of "knowledge". No emulator will give you direct access to hardware resources. That would be a violation of basic principles of emulation.

qz33 wrote:

Do any other drive image programs include the ability to alter partition records directly? I want make changes to the MBR and PBR directly which is likely out of the realm for anything running within windows.

Create a DOS boot CD with UBCD. Or use a installed Linux system or live CD. The best choice would be: don't manually alter stuff you do not understand.