VOGONS

First post, by Paratech2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It screams that I'm missing 4 "DOS" files and I'm running XP, the files don't seem to be at Microsoft anymore, and I'm unsure what to do?

I've included a snapshot of the error.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by Paratech2008

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install some "Software Toolworks Adventure Pack",,,

and I can't get DOS BOX to read the floppy disks...

It states that Drive A isn't mounted but mounting seems to only work for Hard Drives / CD Drives...BTW Will DVD Drives mount?

Anyways back to the point, how do you access floppies in DOS BOX?

Reply 2 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the floppy image "floppy.img" resides in your DOSBox program folder (no hard-drive mounted)...

imgmount a .\floppy.img -t floppy

...this doesn't need a C-drive mounted, it reads it straight from the host machines' DOSBox folder. Same goes for any images in IMGMOUNT. I don't know if -t floppy is needed (it might autodetect), but it's better safe than sorry I guess....

😀

EDIT: Oh you mean REAL floppy drives!?!? Erm....

MOUNT A:

...but.... believe me.... you'd be VERY WISE to turn those floppies into image files (there are plenty out there to do this, WinImage trial version works well enough) before magnetic fields and invisible dust demons destroy them...

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get a real ms-dos disk and then copy its contents to a folder as floppy.

E.G. mount b c:\myflop -t floppy

Maybe the program won't work with DOSBox though if it's using "special" ms-dos utilities (subst, append, join). Who knows?

And next time use PNG 256 colour for capturing screens. JPEG sucks at that.

And, plese, do not double-post.

[TOPICS MERGED]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check out this VOGONs message thread on Challenge Pack III for some additional information.

The key is just to have three files named SUBST.EXE, APPEND.EXE and JOIN.EXE on a floppy. WinXP in the \Windows\System32 sub-directory there are the SUBST.EXE and APPEND.EXE file. Just re-copy one of these files as JOIN.EXE and you have the three files you need to install. The games never actually need to use these files. There will be a file named DOSPATH.DAT which is a TEXT file. This file will have the location of the sub-directory containing the three above named files. The DOSPATH.DAT file is opened and read to find and access the three DOS utility files.

Just fake out the install process and then check the batch files which activate the games to make sure that they are not used. With DOSBox they are not necessary with the abilities of the MOUNT command.

dvwjr

Reply 6 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha.... I was gonna say... I was totally spun out there.... WTF!!

Software Toolsworks CD-ROM Challenge Pack II <> Software Toolworks Adventure Pack

😜

Did you figure out the Floppy one though...? I DID reply to THAT one.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 8 of 10, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paratech2008 wrote:

I downloaded and installed the shareware program and have 30 days to use it. Hopefully I can digitize my floppy collection by then.

I'm sure there are more tools out there that can do the same thing, incase you do run out of time. I don't know too about that though - I own a copy of WinImage as it has unmatched support for various harddisk images and I have a lot of use for it. Floppy images are, however, somewhat more common - they are still used as a generic way to make CD's bootable (read CD>mount a special part of CD as an A:>Boot DOS from virtual A:) so there's bound to be alternate solutions.

My point is, I'm confident someone in these forums has an answer for a reliable FREEWARE program for managing floppy disk images - there definately is bound to be one out there. Chances are it's already been answered in a thread - if not, maybe someone will reply here soon 😀

Regards,
CosmicDan