VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by Wethrin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like the main folder is decompressed as the size is 5.04 MB. I am attaching the save game folder as requested. If you are familiar with the game it is right at the beginning, I doubt I have been playing more then 20-30 minutes. With this save game it will freeze right away if I try to save again without even taking a step. I have also gotten it to freeze by walking quite a ways to the left on the overworld map. Someone above suggested that it could be a copy protection method. The game did ask me a copy protection question right away, but I answered it correctly, so I don't think that is the issue. In any event, thanks for taking a look at this.

Attachments

• Filename
    SAVEGAME.zip
    File size
    54.25 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 41 of 45, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game gets stuck in a very long (if not infinite) loop when saving, including automatic saving. It looks like an unexpected value is passed to a subroutine. There's nothing that points to the problem being caused by DOSBox, and my suggestion for this kind of apparent game bug is to start over and do things differently. Doing pretty much the same things every time could be why the problem happens with such regularity for you. For example, try going to the other crash site and adding Dibbs to your party.

Reply 42 of 45, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wethrin wrote:

Stiletto: One would think that with all of the forums I have lurked on in the past I would have picked up better forum etiquette. 😀 I apologize for the mistake. If I have another question like this I will make sure I start a new thread rather than resurrect an old one! Thank you for the feedback.

Well, like I said we don't ALL agree with me - some people think supplying pertinent information is always useful no matter the age of the thread. I just find it aggravating because usually people then start replying to the earlier messages before the bump, when in fact the conversation has died and moved on and the people involved in the previous conversation may no longer be regular posters to answer questions, that sort of thing. No worries. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 44 of 45, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to dig up an old thread... But I'm having the same issues with lock up with save games after visiting the 1893 landing site. I'm using the GOG version.

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 45 of 45, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gumpy wrote:

Sorry to dig up an old thread... But I'm having the same issues with lock up with save games after visiting the 1893 landing site. I'm using the GOG version.

Did you read this thread?
-it was suggested to make a new thread and link this one to it, rather than bump up an old thread.
-it was suggested to start over and do things different; go to the other crash site and pick up Dibbs. The OP never replied back after that suggestion, so we can only guess that this was the solution to the problem.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks