VOGONS

First post, by Wizardling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone know how to get sound going with Master of Orion II?

TIA,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Frog blast the vent core!

Reply 1 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Learn to play the clarinet?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are posting just a few details. It is hard for us to know what's happening. We don't have a crystal ball.

How did you install the game?

How did you configure DOSBox?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 4, by Wizardling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Basically I followed: http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006/05/dosbox-guide.html which didn't work out for me.

But NM - I found out what was wrong - SETSOUND.EXE and the sound drivers were never copied over to the ORION2 directory by the MOO2 installer 🙁 Still, all is well now I've copied them over manually (actually I wasn't quite sure what I needed so I just copied everything from the CD not already there, then ran SETSOUND.EXE).

I'm just lucky I ran across comments from someone who had the same problem and was more than able than I to diagnose the trouble.

Between the sound issue and my MOO2 install requiring the contents of the CD on my HD (thankfully not the actual disc), despite what the above instructions said, this was an utter bitch of a setup that had me stumped for almost a week.

If it wasn't so much fun playing MOO2 at high speed (I only had the Mac version on an ageing G3 iMac before) I'd regret the time wasted futility trying to following any and all instructions I found online for DOS MOO2 and DOSBox.

It's a shame there isn't an easier way. This must put off most people who try to get it working.

Cheers,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Frog blast the vent core!

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What I would dearly like to know is WHY THE HELL a normal install, done from DOSBox, from the CD the HD don't work. Why do people enjoy going through 28 strange steps to make some botched install, when 98% of all games installs and run in DOSBox with just 4 commands?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions