VOGONS

First post, by NobuoUematsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read and tried various readmes and helps, fixes and so forth online and nothing seems to bring the game from a crawl. In some areas it's useable (such as in paperdolls or base build), but the cityscape and especially tactical combat is so slow it's unuseable.

First, system specs:
PM800-8237 (Via PM880 NB, Via VT8237 SB)
2.6 GHz Celeron (400 MHz FSB, 8 KB L1-d 12kuops ETC, 128 KB L2, MMX, SSE1+2)
1 GB (2x512 MB PC2700 DDR, Dual Channel, 2.5-3-3-7-1T timings, 2.5v)
GeForce MMX 440 (64 MB DDR, 250 MHz GPU 400 MHz DDR-VRAM, AGP 8x)
Onboard AC97
Windows XP Professional SP3
X-COM (R) Apocalypse (tm) Version 1.00 11th June 1997

Problem:
Sound is stuttering, choppy, and unsynced (despite block/prebuffer settings). Game runs very slowly, unresponsively, symptoms similar to when running it on a system below minimum requirements (requires a 486 100 MHz), especially in tactical combat or when scrolling the sides of the screen.

Soundmode used: SB16

Video mode: Not sure? 600x480, fullscreen
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

Dosbox: 0.72

Steps taken:
Adjusted cycles (if put on auto it maxes, max uses ~20% of my CPU and results in unplayable lag (50+ second mouse-click delay, ~4 minute game load)
Switched from Auto to Normal, it runs a bit better at 10,800 cycles but is still unplayable. Switched from Normal to Dynamic. Runs much better, but tactical combat still unuseable and cityscape badly laggy. Runs best at 12,500-25,000 cycles (12,500 for tactical and 25,000 for cityscape)
All cycle settings have choppy/laggy music.
Tried any combo of prefetch and block sizes:
BLock: 32, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384
Prebuffer: 0, 5, 10, 12, 14, 20, 25, 50, 100, 200, 1000, 5000, 50000

Set memory to 63 MB

Switched from Normal2x to None for render method (slight improvement, fixed an issue with 'ghost' pixels and choppy bink/smacker movies.)

Lowered sound quality from 22050 to 11050 (negligible increase in performance)

Disabled sound (no noticeable improvement)

Set priority to Highest, Higher, Normal, Lower, Lowest, and Pause (Normal and up got best performance, but no gains past normal)

Tried downloading a non-legitimate copy. Same problem.

ANY more ideas?

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

symptoms similar to when running it on a system below minimum requirements

You are running it on a computer that is below the minimum requirements.

Rules of decent computer building:

1. Never buy a Celeron
2. Never EVER buy a P4.
3. Never buy Via.
4. Never buy a crappy NVIDIA video card.
5. Never use onboard audio....if you HAVE to...never use onboard audio on a VIA motherboard...if you HAVE to then upgrade your drivers.

*Obviously some of the above may vary depending on need but if you stick by all of the above then most problems will be eliminated.

Basically your computer is a POS and the game is from the later end of the DOS era which means it's system requirements are very high so that when it's run using DOSBox emulation your computer isn't good enough to run it.

If you insist on using that computer to play the game then you should try running it under NTVDM or using Virtual PC.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

My usual cure for a slow DOSBox are these settings:

core=dynamic
cycles=max 80%
frameskip=1 (or 2,3,4,5 - depends)

imgmount'ing CD's.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 6, by NobuoUematsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MiniMax:

The frameskip, oddly, seems to actually make the lag worse. Setting the cycle max to 80% seems to make the game run a lot more smoothly and makes the sound break less often, but the agents are still moving in molasses time in tactical combat.

It's wierd. I have games with drastically higher requirements that run entirely too fast and I have to limit the cycles. XCom just doesn't play fair.
But alas, I can only play and beat so many Might and Magic games before I need my alien blasting fix.

Anyone have any knowledge on the different video modes? I keep reading that nvidia+openGL should run well, but I get zero video (black screen) when I use opengl and openglnb

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just because a game lists higher requirements doesn't really mean anything. System Requirements for games are notorious for not being accurate.

In any case you are using emulation software to run these games. Some instructions will run faster than others. Some games will be slower, some will be faster.

With your CPU the the late 90's DOS games will be slower on that computer using DOSBox than a modern CPU. I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just stating facts. Running a program under emulation does not mean you can go by the System Requirements listed on the Box for that game.

It's possible that the OGL ICD is not working and it may be trying to use the Microsoft OGL emulation. You can download glview or fire up Quake 3 and see if they are showing the proper extensions.

You wouldn't want to use OGL with DOSBox with that card anyway.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline