VOGONS

First post, by DevilShroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, I'm new and I warn you now I'm not that computer savvy in the slightest. Please be patient with me I'm really struggling to understand this whole DOSBox program.

Basically I've got a copy of 'Woodruff' that I'm trying to load on my PC.

I've got Windows Vista and I've got ScummVM which I use to run my Monkey Island games and it works like a dream. Now ScummVM supposedly now supports 'Woodruff' so I updated my ScummVM version and tried to run it through there but when I go to the games files Scumm tells me it can't find any.
So I go, c:\SIERRA\WOORUFF but the file is, according to Scumm completely empty.

So I tried through DOSBox since I managed to get 'Discworld 1' working through there (but alas with no sound, that's another problem I'm having). I mounted the file and everything you're supposed to do but when I finally typed in, WOODRUFF to access the .exe file it came up with a message saying,
'This program must be run under Microsoft Windows'
I was like '0_o? I am running it under Windows'. So now I'm really stumped and have no idea how to get this dang game to work.

It's so annoying I keep thinking I've got it, I managed to install the game, but then another problem crops up. I just cannot get it to run.

My operating system is Windows Vista and the DOSBox I'm using is 0.72 and my ScummVM is the latest version which is 0.12.0 I believe. My processor is 'intel V\\V' what ever that might be.
I know in this forum you're supposed to stat things like you motherboard and sound board and so on but I honestly haven't got a clue what they are for my PC; I don't know how to find it out.

Please please any help is appreciate I always have problems with these sorts of things and end up getting stuck and I don't think I've ever managed to see a tech problem through and actually solve it.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"This program must be run under Microsoft Windows".

DOSBox is a MS-DOS emulator. When you try to run a game in DOSBox you are running the game in DOS, NOT Windows. As far as games in DOSBox goes Windows does NOT exist. So that's why you received the error message.

According to this they may have only included support for the DOS version:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/The_Bizarre … d_the_Schnibble

I don't have the game nor have I ever played it so I can't really help you. Best bet is to go to the ScummVM forums and report the ver of the game you have there and your issue.

As for your DiscWorld game if you are not hearing any sound then it's likely that you did not configure your sound for the game or it's misconfigured.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-09-24, 10:08. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by DevilShroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I managed to do some fiddling with ScummVM and somehow, not sure how, got it to work but now I'm having sound and display issues so it's probably wise I go to ScummVM. Thanks.

On the Discworld subject. I did get a configuration screen when I installed the game (and I know how to get it back up) which dealt with sound and midi drivers but I had no idea what I was supposed to choose. I just went with the options at the top of the list but no sound, I tried to choose some other ones to see if it made any difference but when I picked any others from the list it asked for me to enter some numbers or something and obviously I didn't know what to enter.

Reply 3 of 4, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you read the DOSBox readme file, it says the following about getting sound/music to work in DOSBox:

Q: There is no sound.
A: Be sure that the sound is correctly configured in the game. This might be done during the installation or with a setup/setsound utility that accompanies the game. First see if an autodetection option is provided. If there is none try selecting soundblaster or soundblaster16 with the default settings being "address=220 irq=7 dma=1". You might also want to select midi at address 330 as music device. The parameters of the emulated soundcards can be changed in the DOSBox configuration file. If you still don't get any sound set the core to normal and use some lower fixed cycles value (like cycles=2000). Also assure that your host operating
sound does provide sound.

I don't remember what the sound settings are for Discworld, but try the above suggestions first and see what happens. There's a lot of useful information contained in the DOSBox readme file. 😀

And by the way, if you get more savvy with all of this, Woodruff and the Schnibble supports Windows 3.1, which you can install in DOSBox. I have the game but haven't tried this one in Windows 3.1 yet.

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woodruff is a finicky game. It is a Windows only game and as such has no audio setup. It can be played natively in XP, but with issues. ScummVM is the only way to fly with Woodruff.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers