VOGONS

First post, by SHP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I had installed Windows 3.11, I decided I would as well install Office 4, for old times' sake. I've got the installation disks in .ima files, so I mounted Disk 1 as a image. I opened DOSBox and ran setup. Everything went well until I was asked to insert Disk 2: I tried to rename the mounted .ima file so I would rename the second disk's image in it's place and use Ctrl+F4, but Windows didn't allow me to rename the first image because DOSBox had locked the file 😢
I tried using a unlocking program on the file, but then DOSBox couldn't any image anymore unless I restarted it...

Attempt #2: I decided to try copying the files of all the disks (not the .ima files, but the files within the disk images) into a folder, mounting the folder as CD-ROM drive, and running Setup again. But then I started to get the message: "Setup tried to create an invalid path using EXCEL.E1_", and the installation program would fail (and no, EXCEL.E1_ isn't corrupted, since it works when I run the installation program from the .ima file) 😒

Attempt #3: I mounted a folder as a floppy drive, and copied just the contents of Disk 1 into it. The plan was that when I would be asked to insert the next disk, I would erase the files inside the mounted folder, replace them with the files of the next disk, and use Ctrl+F4. BUT, then Windows 3.11 couldn't detect the virtual floppy 😵
And yes, I'm sure I mounted it properly, since I had previously mounted other floppies the same way, and they all worked perfectly.

So, um, is there any possible way to install Microsoft Office 4..?

Reply 2 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

copying the files into one folder should work. at least it did for me back in the days when I burned all of my flopies onto a cd for fast installations

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 12, by SHP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion, but...

SHP wrote:

I decided to try copying the files of all the disks into a folder, mounting the folder as CD-ROM drive, and running Setup again. But then I started to get the message: "Setup tried to create an invalid path using EXCEL.E1_", and the installation program would fail (and no, EXCEL.E1_ isn't corrupted, since it works when I run the installation program from the .ima file) 😒

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes we saw that, but why run it as a CDROM? Dump them in a folder on your hard drive. Mount the folder in DOSBox. Run setup.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by SHP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind, I managed to install it after all. I copied every disk into the virtual C: drive in a separate folder each one (named Disk1, Disk2, etc.) and it worked! Seems like the installation program will work as long as the files are located in different disks or different folders.

Anyway, thanks for your help (btw, the reason I didn't mount all the files in a floppy was that Windows didn't detect it). This thread can be closed now.

Reply 7 of 12, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember from the past there where other programs with this setuproutine. Search for old Win3.1 and Win95 shareware on simtel and you often find zip's with Disk1, Disk2, Disk3, etc. folders inside. You always have to run the setup exe from the Disk1 folder.

Reply 8 of 12, by NobuoUematsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope you get it, but the programmers for DOSBOX made it clear that they have no interest in improving support for work applications like Office, Lotus, etc.

Only games.

They also clearly state they have no interest in improving DOSBOX's speed/performance. Only compatability.

Reply 10 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. DOSBox's performance is fine, it's not hard to scrap up a computer nowadays that can experience great Pentium Pro 200 performance out of it.
2. Applications like those shouldn't be used in an environment without timestamp support anyway
3. Your music is stupid and overrated.

apsosig.png
long live PCem