VOGONS

First post, by naday

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Anybody has sound in King's Bounty? Tried DOSBox 0.65 and 0.72 to no avail. Everything is okay minus the sound. No effects nor midi music. WinXP mixer is on, other DOSBox games have sound.

Could you please try installing King's Bounty to see if you have sounds?

thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to Mobygames, this game only supports PC-Speaker, so beware.

Do you get any sound at all?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 7, by naday

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Only the PC Speaker option gives 'sounds'.

The DOS version is ~674KB. The Sega Megadrive/Genesis version is 512KB and it has nice music and sound effects. I'm wondering about the DOS version not containing sound data in so many bytes?

Reply 3 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This game seems to support PC Speaker only.

Heh. It could be the grandfather for Heroes of Might & Magic III.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 7, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's certainly a distant relative of some sort. NWC did the Might and Magic games too.

Even Wikipedia agrees

King's Bounty and Heroes of Might and Magic

King's Bounty is widely considered to be the precursor for much of the gameplay in the Heroes of Might and Magic series (the Might and Magic series being the basis for the storyline), both of which were published by New World Computing and designed by Jon Van Caneghem. Among the many similarities, an emphasis on hero development and combat style are especially prominent in both. In the introduction to the player manual of Heroes III, van Caneghem credits King's Bounty as the precursor to Heroes of Might and Magic.[1] King's Bounty is included in some HOMM anthologies, including the Heroes of Might and Magic Compendium and Heroes of Might and Magic Millennium Edition. The anthology versions also provide a native executable for Windows, though not fully supported in Windows NT-based operating systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Bounty

Reply 7 of 7, by Engioc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

King's Bounty never had sound beyond PC speaker, but despite that is a great game and has many features which I loved that never carried over in to the newer versions HOMM, HOMM2 etc so yeah HOMM is deirectly related to/based on KB, the only differences being KB single player instead of HOMM multiplayer. Monsters, Skills and many other parts of the game are still part of HOMM today.