VOGONS

First post, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! 😀

Recently I tested my old games and found several titles "incompatible" with DOSBox (both official 0.72 and ykhwong november versions).

1. Small shareware game Aldo Again! This game have strange font issue. Most of game graphic work as it must. But all texts in game is distorted. If I set mode manually to CGA/Hercules, graphic disappears completely, but text appears!

2. Crime Wave from Access software. It works well under Windows, but both DOSBox builds freezes just after main game start and main character jump in (lifes starts to appear and lock).

3. Several Sierra games (i think - I can be wrong with company name) with sound driver cms.drv haven't sound at all. If I manually set SB OPL mode to CMS in conf file, then when I drag&drop game's exe on DOSBox, sound still missing. But when I exit such game and going to command line of DOSBox and then start game again from it - sound appears!

4. All Silmarils games have Sound FX, but haven't music. It is quite strange, because some of such games (Colorado, for example, and Boston Bomb Club) have "music by [someone]" in credits. But I don't know whether it is music problem or simply bad games versions.

Reply 1 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1-3. How do you start the games? Which mounts have you used? Did you install the games from within Dosbox?
4. Are these CD games? Or do they play midi? What does the installer of the games say about sound effects/music?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All this games from different freeware and abandonware sites (I can continue or it is closing the theme? 😀)

1. Aldo Again! doesn't install. It simply "unpack and plays", as most old shareware.
2. Crime Wave can be installed, but it haven't any sound options - it have something named "Real Sound system", that plays through standard speakers. And it is play sounds indeed - main menu and intro have sound without problems. Problem also persist in any available mode (EGA and CGA, as I vaguely remember).
3. Sierra, of course, can be tweaked. It has only three sound options though: PC Speaker (it works always), SB and None.
4. All my Silmarils games haven't any type of installing or setup. So I cannot guarantee, is this music exist in it at all. But I vaguely remember my Boston Bomb Club with music on old "real" system about six years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot say, was it the same game, or another, "good" one, sorry. And yes, I think, it was some sort Adlib or Midi music.

I tested games under standard default DOSBox settings, mounting my real disk F as I, limiting free space to 200Mb and sometimes disabling EMS and XMS, if encounter problems. I also tried to slow DOSBox down to 100 cycles maximum. Yes, I always tweak/install games under DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> mounting my real disk F as I

Why?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

All this games from different freeware and abandonware sites (I can continue or it is closing the theme? Happy)

Well, hard to give any advice then since who knows whether the games are normally behaving like that or screwed by the packaging. Not to mention that abandonware is really not supportable.

to 1. even old shareware games had an install or setup program that needed to be run before the game to set up sound and stuff.

4. make sure your system has not midi music voulme turned down.

makes no sense and especially when you mentioned that you drag'n'drop the sierra games...
Best look through the guides on how to set up dosbox correctly and then retest each game. Use a clean (generate new one) dosbox.conf for this

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Well, hard to give any advice then since who knows whether the games are normally behaving like that or screwed by the packaging. Not to mention that abandonware is really not supportable.

I know that. 😀 But asking not hurt, yes? 😀

Dominus wrote:

to 1. even old shareware games had an install or setup program that needed to be run before the game to set up sound and stuff.

Hmm. Actually, I seen more then one dozen of shareware/freeware games from late 80th, when there isn't any sort of tweak in game. 😀 It could have readme with "hercules not supported" and "unpack in any dir" text and such, but basically, if you have CGA-only game with beeper - what is need to tweak? 😀

Dominus wrote:

4. make sure your system has not midi music voulme turned down.

Thank you. Actually, I have not only that games, you know? 😉

Dominus wrote:

makes no sense and especially when you mentioned that you drag'n'drop the sierra games...

Do you need full procedure? Why? 😀 Ok, if it have any sense for you, I can describe, how I am test DOS-games.
1. Unpack game under Windows on disk F, search for install or setup.
2.1. If it have any, start "tweaked" DOSBox with options, mentioned above (memory and mounted disk)
2.2. If it haven't, drag'n'drop main exe on "clean" DOSBox.
3. If it doesn't work, start tweaking in next sequence. 😀
3.1. Read all readme and search all cfg-like files in game directory.
3.2. Start "tweaked" DOSBox, manually set cycles to 100.
3.3. Disable EMS/XMS/UMB/All
3.4. Try other video modes
3.5. Try other audio modes
3.6. Try other DOSBox modes (default is "normal" of course)
3.7. Gave up. 😀

Is this good? 😉

Dominus wrote:

Best look through the guides on how to set up dosbox correctly and then retest each game. Use a clean (generate new one) dosbox.conf for this

Of course, it always can be the issue - it's because that I open themes like this - but no, it is non-standard issues in that case, AFAIK. 😀 And yes, of course, I use generated conf in any doubt.

Reply 7 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

This does not answer the question.

I already said somewhere, that I haven't conventional sence of humor. 😀 So if it really not answer the question, I can elaborate: I testing about ten games at one day, and some of such games have MIDI-music. I think, I would notice, if I accidentally turn off sound, so I think, this is not issue here. 😀 (And yes, I tried to turn up volume of my speakers, just in case 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

crimewave is odd. I think it was one of the testing games when creating the real sound emulation a long long time ago.
I must admit that I haven't tried it recently.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, we don't always know what the level of knowledge is for the people asking for help here. Before you can go into detail you HAVE to cover the bases 😀

back to the mount f as i, can you elaborate more? Especially old games may behave odd when they don'T start on c (or if there are more drives than c).

Reply 10 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I don't know, what to elaborate. 😀 I already gave all info, that I can think of. Maybe you can ask more detailed question?

About mounting: I think, I still have problem with explaining, sorry.
It is easier to show you my "clean" DOSBox starting line. 😀

C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -c "mount c f:\ -freesize 200" -c "mount i i:\ -t CDROM -ioctl -usecd 0" -c "c:"

Second drive is my real DVD-RW, of course. 😀

OMG! Just now I re-read every post from "mount F as I". Mistyping, sorry. 🙁(

Reply 11 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"mount i i:\ -t CDROM -ioctl -usecd 0"

Why?

Mount the CDROM as D.
Not sure if it makes any difference, but the manual says -t cdrom
-ioctl is default in 0.72
-usecd is rarely necessary.

Reply 12 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Why?

Mount the CDROM as D.

It is simplier in some case (Win/DOS games, for example, as with Fallout and Birthright). But actually, I think, it doesn't matter - no one from mentioned games require CD. 😀

MiniMax wrote:

-usecd is rarely necessary.

I know. But it could matter sometimes, and I think, it doesn't hurt to have maximum compatibility (Am I wrong? Do anyone know, why Daggerfall "know" it's CD in the Windows, but "don't know" the same CD under DOSBox, BTW? 😀)

Reply 13 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I believe Daggerfall checks the CD label, so it probably needs the -label DAG (or whatever the CD name is).

Reply 14 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried this. I tried everything, what I could imagine, actually. No luck. And disk still recognized under Windows. %) Of course, I gave up at last and revert to daggerfall.exe z.cfg trick. But issue disturbing me... 😀

Hmmm. Just now I think about not "my" label, but "right" label, that work to someone - I think, I seen something on this forum... Need to investigate... 😀

update:
I retest now my "problem" dir. I was wrong about "Sierra games". Sierra games indeed have cms.drv (and that is because I mix up it - I tried copy this driver from other - Sierra - games with no luck), but game in question was only one. It is "Don't Go Alone" from Accolade - it still have this sound issue with official 0.72.

Reply 16 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

That aldo2 switches to an odd text mode (82 columns) and thus the set
pixel function screws up. Works fine otherwise.

So is this can be fixed somehow? Is it will be fixed in DOSBox? 😀

wd wrote:

Crime Wave seems playable here.

Oh. Bad version? 🙁 Ok, I'll try to found another. Thank you!

Reply 18 of 18, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Is this possible actually? 😀
2. I don't need this game. 😀 It is only "testing ground" for DOSBox. If DOSBox haven't problems with it - it is not problem at all. But I want to test it myself - in case of problems it can mean that something wrong with my system or DOSBox.
3. Anyway, it is not possible to buy any Western game for me. 😀 I live in Russian province, and I doubt that any seller will want my rubles for game. 😀 And it almost sure will be too expensive... So I can buy only games sold in Russia. Or take gifts, as it was with Daggerfall or Slay for example. 😀