VOGONS

Reply 21 of 35, by luckenbill56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Clever. I am trying to find where do I type the information in a file or other? Sorry I don't use DOSBOX and DFend that often. Alien Logic is the first game I have had a problem with? I have never tried the DFend software until today. I always use DOSBOX. Now if you would like to walk me through this process in a positve fashion it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise smart aleck and clever I can't use. I say this in a most respective way. I'm not a know it all. I don't know all the answers. and I'm not a smart a** either. Help is what I need? In a consise very basic step by step procedure. Can you help me? Happy Holidays

Reply 22 of 35, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 35, by luckenbill56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. Your sixty second guide did the trick. The only issue I am now experiencing is shortly after the game introduction the graphics went from fine into a washed out paisley color/s. Thank you again. J.L.

Reply 24 of 35, by Legend789

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found out that Surface rendering seems to work on few games, making the palette change. It might be because my monitor is literally broken. (One day it sparked and now whenever it goes windowed, it moves a few inches to the right. So when I go full-screen, I need to shift the screen to the right.)

Direct Draw is best for most games and it's my default at least on my monitor. Some games it "smooths the corners too much". That's okay with most VGA games, but it will get annoying on EGA games. That's why Surface is the default by default.

But Alien Logic is special, for that one I use Open gl. I also had to tweak a few of the settings it takes practice to get it right for this game 😀 But I'm sure you'll ask if you need it.

First go to D-Fend, (I always prepare most of my games on D-Fend, then edit as necessary.) then go to the properties of your Configuration for Alien Logic.

Go to the General Tab. There you'll find the Rendering Method, it's the second Select box down from the list of check-boxes. Select "opengl".

If you'd rather edit your configuration manually. Open your .conf file. Go to the [sdl] section, and edit the output property to "output=opengl", which is probably "output=surface" by default.

Hope this helps!

Reply 26 of 35, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Legend789 wrote:

It's downloadable at Brøderbund Support — Download Alien Logic® Patch 11. I renamed it to Patch11.exe.

(I didn't attach the patch since it will most likely be up forever.)

It's gone. It's here though.
http://files.filefront.com/jorun1+1zip/;90253 … ;/fileinfo.html

I also had a problem. At the part where I type my name the letters are shifted to the right. Q and A don't work. P=O, L=K, M=N, Z=\. There is no way to type P, L, M, or Z. I fixed this by switching usescancodes to false.

Attachments

• Filename
    jorun1_1.zip
    File size
    157.31 KiB
    Downloads
    521 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 35, by Logan Felipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried mounting my DVD-RAM Drive to "Z:\>mount d d:\DVD-RAM Drive\", but keep getting the message "Directory d:\DVD-RAM Drive doesn't exist." What drive to I need to mount it to?

Additionally, what is the command used to bring up the alien logic install screen?

Reply 30 of 35, by zemela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did anybody finish the game?
------------------
(1) I've a problem with sounds and music - game crashes, whenever I start a new game, saying "play_music_alien failed!". Managed to run the game with /x flag - no sound and music.
(2) After visiting ruins in 202,185 can't manage strategies anymore! Left-click on dysha (in combat menu) is ignored. Looks like my whole savegame is corrupted, since when I load older one - the strategies management works just fine!

Reply 31 of 35, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe Alien Logic use old CTMMSYS SB interface, so this is the cause for "no sound" issue?
Music is CDA and play w/o errors. The cd have 5 CDA tracks.
And still the game is too fast... 🙁

Reply 32 of 35, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I realized something - the game is only too fast when walking - during combat, it slows down to a decent pace if you set the cycles to 20.000-25.000. The map is still a little choppy then, and music can cut out occasionally but it's playable. Just don't use "auto" or "max" for cycles be cause you'll FLY! 😁

Reply 33 of 35, by lovepump

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, i got this game working on DosBox, I got about half of the way through when my mouse left click stopped working in game (only when trying to move normally). It still works if i hold shift and click to jump, and i can pick up items etc, it simply won't allow me to move (or leave certain areas by clicking off screen).

When I load or start a new game, there is no problem at all, only on the one particular save file. Unfortunately all my other saves were right at the beginning so if i can't fix it, I think i'll give it up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Reply 34 of 35, by oasis789

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zemela wrote:

(1) I've a problem with sounds and music - game crashes, whenever I start a new game, saying "play_music_alien failed!". Managed to run the game with /x flag - no sound and music.

Same problem here. Is there a solution without disabling sound/music?