Rank

What many months was a nightmare, now is a reality:

http://www.airsetpublic.com/files/DB_GW11D.jp … ?i=NbIoERZQItDJ

GeoWorks 1.1 runs under DOSBox 0.70!

Read the story:

http://16671.forums.motigo.com/?action=messag … ssage_id=497422

Greetings from Freiburg!
Manfred

P.S. Now VPC 2007 has a counterpart: DOSBox!

Reply 7 of 23, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And then: It is not better. Totally different approaches like vpc's and dosbox' cannot be compared like this.

Thumbs up for the devs, now that Geos 1.1 is finally working.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 8 of 23, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
abyss wrote:

Word programs which are although not games need a printer or else they are useless. Vpc is better than dosbox due to the fact that Vpc has good printer emulation.

I said

butterfly wrote:

How many games [...]

DOSBox is game oriented
VPC is OS and application oriented

I am just speaking the obvious

Reply 12 of 23, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abyss: Sorry to say that, but you really have to learn when it's better for you to just shut up. All the time, i was hoping to read at least _one_ intelligent statement from you, but that didn't happen so far. Your "VPC is better than DOSBox" statement is again a proof of one (or both) of two things: either, you have absolutely no control of the english language, or you are just plain ignorant and don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, but i just had to get that off my chest. I'm pretty sure there are some users that would agree to my point of view. Please, abyss, do me a favour: only post when you have something meaningful or helpful to say. Please stop annoying this forum with your incomprehensible or ignorant BS.

Reply 13 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am sure, given the preceeding statement that abyss meant to say that "VPC is better than DOSBox for word processing programs".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 23, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's hard to define how one apple is better than another orange. They're both fruit but derived from two different species. Both are round and sweet yet they differ in taste and texture dramatically.

DOSBox is more to my tastes and VPC reminds me more of a lemon.... 😉

Last edited by dh4rm4 on 2007-07-29, 02:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 23, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totally different approaches like vpc's and dosbox' cannot be compared like this.

DOSBox is game oriented
VPC is OS and application oriented

It's hard to define how one apple is better than another orange. They're both fruit but derived from two different species. Both are round and sweet yet they differ in taste and texture dramatically.

Totally agree with Kruwi, Butterfly and dh4rm4.

And, to get back on topic: i didn't even know something like GeoWorks existed for the PC, have to try it soon. Is it connected to GEOS on the C64? I presume it's an extended version by the same guys (company/software house/whatever), correct?

Reply 16 of 23, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GeoWorks is by the people who did GEOS. GEOS was not only made for the C64 but it was intended to be a complete desktop replacement for many different systems. Later in GeoWorks more successful days, it even got OEM licensed for sale with specifically loungeroom oriented DOS PCs made by a few manufacturers.

Reply 17 of 23, by EPAPRESS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! I first worked on a Commodore 128D in the late eighties.
My favorite OS was GEOS 64 and also for the better VDC screen of that nice C 128D I worked with GEOS 128.

Then the homecomputer market break down!

My first PC was a nice XT with two floppys. DOS 4.01 and Win286 aka Win 2.x

In 1991 Geoworks 1.1 appears! Fast, nice, succesor over Windows!
Won some important prizes and soon we have got GeoWorks 1.2 and then the nice GeoWorks Pro v1.2.8.0

Some years later we saw Geworks 2.0 and the HP Omnigo 100 and 120. These nice PDAs have inserted GEOS 2.1. Also Casios Zoomer and the GRidPad 2390 has it.

Handy NOKIA 9110 have GEOS OS inside!

Brother also brought out some Wordprocessors with GEOS and extra VGA monitors.

The time went on and GeoWorks gave the licence to NewDeal.

NewDeal Office 2.5 aka NDO 95 appears, followed by NDO 97.

NDO 98 has the Kernel of GEOS 3.0 and that OS was also included in the GeoBook family of Brother! These are GEOS-Laptops! Without HD and only ROM and RAM based. Over PCMCIA we have tested, that ATA Flash Cards works till 448 MB!

NDO 2000 arrived the horizon and in 2001 MyTurn.Com (beneath some othermarket shares) broke down because of lack of money and unpaid credits in China! NewDeal and BlueMug disappeared too!

Breadbox LLC got the GEOS worldwide licence. And we got the last two GEOS versions:

NewDeal Office 2000 v4.20
Breadbox Ensemble v4.1.2

These last ones are good: Nice sound, very good internet via ODI and DSL!!! ODI is a DSL_over_DOS and works also very good in Virtual PC 2007!
But the GEOS internet explorer WebMagick has no fully frame support!

Look at different GEOS WIKIS and especially here:

http://www.geos-infobase.de

In 2007 we have now managed some enhancements:

- contacts to some important guys at Breadbox and from MyTurn
- GlobalPC OS is now running at PC
- Virtual PC 2007 runs GEOS under MS-DOS 5.0 and 6.20
- DOSBox runs normally GEOS 2.5, NDO 95, 98, 2000 and Breadbox Ensemble

- NEW: GeoWorks 1.1 as 2.88 Floppy image
- NEW: GeoWorks 1.1 and 1.2 as 70MB HD images (MS-DOS 5.0)
- NEW: GW 1.2 Pro and NDO 2000 and Breadbox as 140 MB image (DOS 6.20). All for DOSBox!

- NEW: GEOS printing on USB printer now possible!

GEOS rocks and it rocks also onto DOSBox!

Reply 18 of 23, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think Geoworks was meant as an alternative to windows 3.x on the pc market. I rememer that back then i had to think hard: Do I want windows or geoworks?

It was back then, in that golden age, when Microsoft was not as dominant as it is now ... by far not as dominant. You had real alternatives back then.

P.S.: (BEWARE: Off Topic) Use Linux and you still have alternatives to the Leviathan.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 19 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm having an ugly problem with the Breadbox Ensemble full version.

When clicking on the settings entry in the start menu, first nothing happens and a few seconds later DOSBox exits with a core specific error message or locks up.

Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7
Exit to error: DynCore: illegal option in opcode 0xff

Full core:
XGA: Wrote to port aae9 with 3, len 2
XGA: Wrote to port aae9 with 3, len 1
XGA: Wrote to port aae9 with 3, len 1
XGA: Wrote to port aae9 with 0, len 1
XGA: Read from port aae9, len 1
XGA: Wrote to port aae9 with 6970, len 2

(it does not use XGA)

Starting other applications may succeed.

Now the weird thing is it works on official DOSBox 0.70 and 0.71rc1.
It does not work with my own build (latest CVS with only serial port stuff changed, Visual studio 2003) and the AEP builds (I tried dosbox_25.07.2007, dosbox_01.07.2007, dosbox_01.06.2007.exe and dosbox_01.05.2007.exe).

EPA: I got the internet connection to work - at least one good news. Its a bit of risky programming in ensemble - it expects a 16550 FIFO serial chip to be there.