VOGONS

First post, by helpdiscworldproblems

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bring up a subject that many of you are probably hoping never to discuss again but I'm really struggling and could do with some expert advice.

In my younger days I was a massive fan of Discworld but unfortunately mislaid the game. Recently my very kind and thoughful brother brought the game for me. Excitedly I inserted the game into my computer only to be quickly disappointed. The game ran fine but there was no sound - anyone who is a massive fan of the game will know that the sound is the heart of the game, reading subtitles just doesn't do it!

So I decided my best option was to search the internet, hence posting a topic on this forum, in the hope that someone can give me advice. I have read numerous pieces of information regarding Dosbox and VDMS and have installed both onto my computer, to no avail. I still have no sound. This is more than likely a result of my limited knowledge of computers as opposed to anything else but I would be very grateful of any advice that someone wiser than me could give me.

One sad 🙁 and discworld deprived individual.

Reply 2 of 3, by helpdiscworldproblems

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I have read the thread you mentioned, along with many other threads on the site. Unfortunately, I am not all that knowledgable when it comes to computers. When reading the post you mention I get very lost. I'm sorry to be cheeky but would appreciate it if someone could talk me through the installation from start to end. I have tried dosbox and VDMS but am getting no joy. As I said before I'm sure its a result of my lack of knowledge.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Reply 3 of 3, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you already install the game (within dosbox, that is)?
I assume so because you said you played it and there's no sound.

Try reading the thread a few times, basically you have to copy the
sound driver files (in the "drivers" directory on the CD) and the
setsound.exe to the directory where you installed discworld to.
Then you can run setsound and configure the sound.