VOGONS

Help with Super C

Topic actions

First post, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I am trying to play a DOS game called Super C using DOSBox. It gives you options for running it using some graphics cars, like enhanced graphics card, color graphics card, Hercules and Tandy 16 color. Is there a way to play the game with the Tandy 16 color? Is there any options I should adjust to play it right? Because when I play it using that Tandy 16 color option, it is all messed up.

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I did change the setting in the conf text file. I'm using the 0.65 version latest. But if this makes it any easier, when I save the text file with machine=tandy, in DOSBOx when I type machine it still says vga.

By the way, you can test this game out yourself: it is freeware/abandonware now and available at the home of the underdogs website.

Reply 8 of 24, by mf2hd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested it with 0.65(s.forge) and 0.70(cvs) :both are ok but not play the game for much, I don't like the "shot'em up" kind...
Do you see the dosbox text font changes when you set as machine=tandy (see attachment)?

also you may try this:
- rename the "dosbox.conf" as "01dosbox.conf" in dosbox folder.
- start dosbox.exe
- type "config -writeconf dosbox.conf" (without quotes)
- type exit
- in the dosbox program folder you have a new dosbox.conf, open this one with an editor.
- under the "[dosbox]" there are:

language=
machine=vga <----- change this one as "tandy" (without quotes)
captures=capture
memsize=16

- save the dosbox.conf
- start dosbox.exe
etc.

Attachments

• Filename
    capture.rar
    File size
    24.29 KiB
    Downloads
    146 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help. I don't understand: everytime I run dosbox alone, it shows tandy as the machine. But when I mount Super C (drag the folder into the dosbox icon), the machine becomes vga again! What happened this time?

Reply 12 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

start the game normally using dosbox instead of dropping the executable on top of it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 24, by mf2hd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But when I mount Super C (drag the folder into the dosbox icon),

I don't know this way, I use this (on my pc superc folder is in hd g: ):

- start dosbox.exe
- "mount c:\ g:\superc" <--- w/o quotes + enter (same think for the one below)
- "c:"
- "mnu" <--- for the settings
- "go" <--- to start the game

Instead of "g:\..." you must type the directory path for your superc folder

P.S. "mnu" and "go" are for this game only, not dosbox command.

_mf2hd_

Reply 15 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But now I seem to have another problem (and this is only the problem with the tandy machine). The first time I ran Super C under the tandy machine, it worked just fine. Now, when I try to run it, I hear the sounds in the background, but the whole screen is messed up! Basically, the whole screen is one color, and it changes color every now and then. I don't know what is causing this problem since I didn't affect any internal config (all I did was press ctrl+f1 and change some keys. I changed insert to ctrl and del to "a".) What might be the problem now?

Reply 16 of 24, by mf2hd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, tested without turn on the speakers: the sound in ega is awful...
In tandy1000 it's ok but the not the graphic because the batch file isn't been updated correctly after settings.
Open the go.bat in superc dir with an editor and made it like this:

ECHO OFF
CLS
load /u TDY 2

These are for:

tdy=tandy video
2=tandy audio
/u = I don't know...

With these settings the game seems ok.
Play the game with "go" without start "mnu".
Of course in dosbox.conf the settings must be machine=tandy.
Adjust the speed with ctrl+F12 / F11.

I've not test the key change because the "del" in my kb is the one in numeric keypad.

Reply 17 of 24, by mgman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks. Works better now.

Can I ask one more thing, though? Sorry to bug much: I have a program called infinity machine. It is a cheat tool of sorts. (I can send it through PM, though a download will be very hard to find). It never seems to work with any other machine setting other than VGA.