VOGONS

First post, by Chischis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Time for me to delurk. Having just tried 0.70 with Blood on my E6400 Core 2 Duo and being very impressed at the speed (even at 640x480), I'm loving it.

... except that the game is nearly unplayable due to the horrendous mouse aiming. At any sensitivity strength it isn't accurate at all, it's either too slow or fast, and never smooth.

Is there anything I can do about this? The game is unplayable for me, like this. (too used to perfect mouse aiming in ZDoom!)

Reply 2 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blood doesn't have real "mouse aiming", like quake 2 or the newer fps's have. None of the build engine games have mouse aiming (as we know it today). These games are not real 3d, more like 2.5d (very limited viewing up/down, with distortion and geometrical incorrect rendering when looking up or down). All build engine games will kinda auto-aim, if your target point matches a vertical line with the target, AFAIK.

The only way to get "real" mouse aiming in build games is by using one of the source ports, like JonoF's - but there's no such port for Blood, unfortunately.

Reply 3 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got good mouse aiming by tweaking Blood's config file in the sensitivity areas past the extremes. I could play it like a modern FPS but of course there's that view shearing style of aim...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 14, by Chischis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*ahem*

Anyone have any HELPFUL suggestions? I don't remember the mouse control being this rubbish when playing the game on a "real" system...

Edit: This was meant to be a reply to DosFreak, not the rest of you! Thanks for the replies, honestly. 😊

Last edited by Chischis on 2007-03-04, 22:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...or play around with the "sensitivity" option in dosbox.conf.

And please, don't be unfriendly. We're all trying to be helpful - maybe sometimes in a sarcastic way, but we're trying. (;

You wrote about beeing used to mouse aiming in zDoom. That kind of aiming is simply not possible in Blood, that's what i was trying to explain. The game is/was designed to be played with the keyboard, after all. The first FPS i know of that got "real" mouse aiming was Quake II, which was released one year after Blood.

Btw, i never had any troubles with the mouse in DOSBox. Your problem might be connected to mouse acceleration in Windows (i presume you're running Windows). People running high resolutions often set mouse acceleration or sensitivity to very high values. Using special mouse drivers, for example logitech ones, could also cause troubles, i believe.

If you're still having problems, you should give more information: which OS you're on, contents of dosbox.conf, etc.

Reply 9 of 14, by Chischis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosfreak: Yeah, that seems to help. But to be honest, it seems better without vertical mouse aiming at all. This makes TNT less fun though...

Addict: Some things for me to try there, thanks. I didn't mean to be offensive BTW, but "don't play with the mouse" doesn't come across as sarcastic in text 😜

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I guess my post could be taken as sarcasm but frankly I could never us a mouse with the BUILD engine games until Jonof's ports. Even then I still use the keyboard.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 14, by Captain Huggles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ADDiCT, you're completely wrong. That kind of aiming like in zDoom IS entirely possible in Blood. Mouse-aiming does work in Build games and it is a perfectly viable way of playing the game. Saying Build games don't have mouselook and that they were meant to be played exclusively with the keyboard is just silly.

The solution to ChisChis' dilemma is actually pretty simple and works wonderfully. It has nothing to do with resolution.

The problem lies within the Build setup program. The mouse sensitivity setting in the mouse setup screen only controls HORIZONTAL sensitivity. Not many people know this, and assume it also sets vertical sens. To actually control vertical sensitivity, which is what is turning people off mouselook in build games and making aiming unusable and impossible, you simply need to go to advanced mouse options > Mouse Y axis scale. Then just drop the slider down to about 0.60/0.70. I've found that a horizontal settings of around 0.60/0/70 is great too. I usually leave X-Axis scale at 1.00.

That's it, you have great mouse-aiming in Build games. I found this solution on the 3DRealms forums. The reason mouse-aiming is good in JonoF's port is because the sliders in the GUI launcher that control mouse sensitivity are actually linked to the X-Axis and Y-Axis scale controls found in the advanced mouse options in the Build DOS setup program. There's no setting for mouse sensitivity (only X-axis) and thus, no confusion.

A real, actual problem with mouse-aiming in Build games is the stickiness when trying to aim very slowly and accurately. The only Build game that doesn't have mouselook stickiness is Shadow Warrior. For the rest, it doesn't really affect normal gameplay, but it can be a bit annoying when you're striving for pin-point accuracy at an enemy far away. This problem doesn't exist in JonoF's Duke3D port though (it used to). I have no idea why Dosfreak wouldn't use mouse aiming with JFDuke3D, it's excellent

Also, Quake 2 wasn't the first game with mouse-aiming. Infact, Quake 1 wasn't the first game with mouselook either. The Terminator - Future Shock (1995), to the best of my knowledge, was the first game with freelook (up/down head-movement) mouse-aiming.

Whether a game is 2.5D or 3D has absolutely nothing to do with the authenticity of mouse-aiming. In video-game terms, Duke Nukem 3D has mouselook. In technical terms, it wasn't true mouselook like in a true 3D game, but it WORKED like mouselook within the confines of the 2.5D engine. It allows you to swing your head around. While moving your legs with the keyboard. That's the point.

EDIT: I'll see if I can upload a video captured from DOSBox or JonoF's port demonstrating smooth mouselook.

Reply 12 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, my first time being flamed here! 😎 Maybe it's possible to keep it a bit less personal, thankyouverymuch.

Let me check out the facts before i reply to some points of your post, i currently have a lot of other things to do.

Just one quick thought: you are aware there's a difference between mouse look and (precise) mouse aiming, aren't you?

Reply 13 of 14, by Captain Huggles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't mean to flame you, I know I was a bit blunt, but there's a surprising amount of depth to this one little mouse issue in Build games.

There is a difference between old and new mouse-aiming/looking systems, but for what it's worth, old mouse-aiming works pretty well. The lack of smoothing is a small price to pay for the conveniance. I'm not including Doom-like mouse movement, where up/down moves you forward/back and you turn via the X-axis. That's just really annoying and I use the keyboard for those kinds of games. But for Build games, mouse-looking is a fun way of playing for people who are used to WASD+mouse and more accurate than the arrow keys.

Reply 14 of 14, by Chischis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Captain Huggles wrote:

Mouse Y axis scale. Then just drop the slider down to about 0.60/0.70.

That's helped Huggles, thanks. Well, the vertical movement was the problem, and it is a lot smoother now, but overall the mouse speed is now rather slower than what I'm used to. I suppose it has to be either fast but inaccurate, or slow and smooth. Ooer! 😅