VOGONS

Tomb Raider 1

Topic actions

First post, by RobinSword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I want to run Tomb Raider 1 in DosBOX but with Glide-support.
How can I tell DosBOX to enable Glide support?
I read something about a glide2x.ovl.
I know that there are programs like dgVoodoo or Glidos, but I want
to start Tomb Raider 1 out of DosBox and nevertheless have the good
looking 3D graphics.

How can I do that?

Best regards,
RobinSword

Reply 4 of 16, by RobinSword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've installed the correct TOMB.EXE (Voodoo-patch), I copied
GLIDE2X.OVL into the game directory, I'm starting Tomb Raider
out of DOSBox CVS edition with Glide=true set in the configfile.

But after the Tomb Raider intro DOSBox crashes.
What do I wrong?

Is it possible that the error is because I had dgVoodoo installed formerly?
Since I did not find an option to uninstall dgVoodoo properly, I just deleted
the files.

RobinSword

Reply 6 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's an experimental build using experimental patches.
there is little support for that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 16, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you configured TR's sound settings properly? It works alright for me w/o any problems (Voodoo-Patch & CVS build 05.01.2007).

Maybe you should try downloading a different Voodoo/3Dfx patch. The size of the TOMB.EXE I'm using is 853 KB - there's another one (1.08 MB) which doesn't work.

Reply 8 of 16, by Vagrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
i have the Sold Out version Tomb Raider 1 (using dgVoodoo) and i followed the installation steps and everything worked fine. But the game shows Lara in the top-left corner of the screen just as if the camera has a 320x240 viewport, and in the other parts of the screen looks like the lasts vertexs of the rendering port have been stretched... Look it here: http://www.geocities.com/samueldantas

Please help me, i have tried a lot of configurations, changed all options but it didnt worked...

Thank you.

Reply 9 of 16, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vagrant :
The problem you're having is that tombraider isn't running at the resolution DOSBox is running at. I mean, if you look at the picture then you can "immagine" black borders round the screen rectangle (Lara should be always in the middle of the screen). To fix this problem see the FAQ.doc on this forum for more info on "Small screen in fullscreen dosbox".
The stretched ground is a result of drawing things by 3D games outside of the players screen. Nice example of what I had talked about in this post, of 3D games being wastefull
Strange thing

Added problem to the FAQ.doc.

To All :
How to install Tomb Raider 1 with Glide on, see the FAQ.doc on this forum. Remember, it will only run on Glide enabled DOSBox builds like the one from ykhwong.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 10 of 16, by Vagrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ErikGG,
thanks for the answer but im not using the DosBox with Tomb Raider im using dgVoodoo that uses VDMSound. I have tried to run TR1 with DosBox but its just too slow...

And i cant find the FAQ.doc in that post that you mentioned.

Nice avatar, Piccolo rlz 😁

Reply 11 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Vagrant wrote:

im not using the DosBox with Tomb Raider im using dgVoodoo that uses VDMSound.

Then why do you post in a thread that belongs to "DOSBox Games/Apps" ??
Post your question in one of the GlidOS threads.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 16, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, no problem, I assumed that you meant you were using the dgVoodoo version of Tomb.exe wich is required btw to run Tomb Raider in DOSBox.

Better to ask for a sollution in this forum then in the DOSBox forum as else people start to get confused :
Windows

Is a resolution problem though, don't know dgVoodoo so I can't help you further.

The DOSBox FAQ.doc is at :
DosBox FAQ

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 15 of 16, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok someone please tell me what a glide does because i keep hearing about them but i don't know what they are. I checked pictures of games with glide and it does not look different to the game without glide and what is a dgvoodoo.

Reply 16 of 16, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glide was an "old" standard for displaying 3D games, like DirectX and OpenGL are the standard now. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glide_API
But using Glide and emulating it, by passing the Glide data to DirectX or OpenGL with some conversions, speeds up some games. Tomb Raider is one of those games.

The original Tomb Raider exe doesn't support Glide though, see my FAQ.doc for more info on how to install Tomb Raider with Glide enabled.

Emulators supporting Glide are :
dgVoodoo
Glidos
And because of Gulikosa's Glide patch DOSBox too. Only DOSBox CVS versions like the one from ykhwong though.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc