VOGONS

First post, by radivx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've started collecting floppy images made from the original games, that means that the copy protection is still present. This isn't a problem in games with User Manual quiz-questions, but a huge problem with sector and label protections (or something like that). I can't figure out how to get lemmings to work (tried with both Image file AND the original Floppy (mount -t floppy and imgmount -t floppy), neither will work).

Lemmings outputs "Please insert the game disk in A: or B:" (I've mounted as both) (It looks like the lemmings protection consists of some invalid folder names / sectors AND a crazy disk label).

Any suggestions/solutions? (cracking the game (which works perfectly) is not a solution for me).

Another thing, I've got problems with multiple floppy images under installation. I tried to install Dune 2, but I couldn't figure out how to change images during installation. Any help on this one?

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hmm, this Lemmings protection scheme is then quite good. Did you try getting the image with different programs?

Unfortunately changing images is not yet supported, at least not in the way we'D like (mounting more than one bootimage and changing those works, afair). I've complained about this a couple of times already 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prompt has made a patch for image cycling a while ago (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234)
Would be really nice indeed if something like this could end up in CVS sometime.. 😀

BTW Ykhwong uses this patch in his builds.

Reply 3 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not related to Lemmings, but how do you make images of floppies that
have weak or bad sectors, or those which use varying sector sizes?
I don't think there's any methodology available besides some custom
hardware to duplicate floppies (not possible for image files).

About lemmings: you can try to boot msdos (diskimage support) where
you can img-mount the floppy. Then full int13 access is available, which
might help here.

Reply 4 of 7, by evo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've once seen a very sophisticated copy protection sheme that also checked whether the floppy disk drive was actually working by hooking the FD IRQ (0eh) to find out whether it is being called during int 13h service calls. DOSBox does not imitate this behaviour.
(Note: this isn't fixed by booting into dos suggested by wd).
To figure out whether this might the case for you just look if the program sets its own int 0eh handler.
I've coded a tiny fix for some other application, maybe it works for you aswell. I've included the source incase you feel like experimenting with it (you need TASM for it though).

Attachments

• Filename
    fdfix.tar.bz2
    File size
    682 Bytes
    Downloads
    382 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by radivx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm your fix didn't work.

I've tried with both rawwrite and winimage. both fails
DosBox output (to the Status Window)

Seek to 0 with type 0 (absolute value 0)
Seek to 512 with type 0 (absolute value 512)
Seek to 34 with type 0 (absolute value 34)

Lemmings starts, asks for performance settings...
Settings chosen

Seek to 80 with type 0 (absolute value 80)
Seek to 80 with type 0 (absolute value 80)

vgalemmi.exe started

Exit to DosBox with "Insert floppy" error.

Can this help you?

I've tried with the original floppy by mount a a:\ -t floppy. That didn't work either. Does dosbox read "boot sectors"? The image has a boot sector named "Key Disk", so I think the hidden shit may be stored there.