VOGONS

mounting virtual cds in DosBox

Topic actions

First post, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, I have been able to play the game Ripper using Dosbox. I mounted image files of the 6 CDs using the commands:

imgmount E "C:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso
imgmount F "C:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso" -t iso
imgmount G "C:\Ripper\RIPPER3.iso" -t iso
imgmount H "C:\Ripper\RIPPER4.iso" -t iso
imgmount I "C:\Ripper\RIPPER5.iso" -t iso
imgmount J "C:\Ripper\RIPPER6.iso" -t iso

This works great for disc 1, but when it is time to switch to disc 2, the program would only look for it on drive E. Is there a way to make the program look for disc 2 on drive F and so on? Are there any alternate strategies that I might try for getting the program to read the discs on the other virtual drives? Thanks.

glyco0

Reply 1 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe ykhwong's CVS build of DosBox includes the patch that has the functionality that enables you to switch between CD's just like it works with floppies.

I've never used it tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 23, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it works. My build includes prompt's cd image disk cycling patch.
usage :
imgmount d disc1.img disc2.img disc... -t iso
default keys:
cycle disk: ctrl-f3
cycle drive: alt-f3 (only needed with multiple drives: Selects drive whose disks are to be cycled)

Reply 4 of 23, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmmm, could you be more specific about the problems with ykhwong's build?
Various solutions to playing Ripper are on my site, perhaps they can help you get the game working with it.

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 5 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, the game, Ripper, works very well. The issue is that it requires 6 CDs which need to be constantly switched. I was hoping to find a way to mount all of the disks as image files onto a virtual drive and simply load these image disks as needed. The image files run more efficiently than the CDs are less of an annoyance.

glyco0

Reply 7 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My dosbox.conf file includes the following when using the build:

mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
imgmount E "C:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER3.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER4.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER5.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER6.iso" -t iso
mount C C:\Ripper
C:\RIPPER /v3

The image mounted files on drive E are not recognized and the game asks me for the disks in Drive D. If I leave off the "mount D" line, the program will not recognize a CD-rom and will not start.

glyco0

Reply 8 of 23, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should be more like this (imgmount replaces mount for D):

imgmount D "C:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER3.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER4.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER5.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER6.iso" -t iso
C:\RIPPER /v3

Reply 9 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried that too, but it did not work. When I load:

imgmount E "C:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER3.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER4.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER5.iso" "C:\Ripper\RIPPER6.iso" -t iso

None of the disks load. If I try:

imgmount E "C:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso" -t iso
imgmount E "C:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso" -t iso

Only disk 1 loads.

glyco0

Reply 11 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When the dosbox.conf file reads:

mount D D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

The errors read:

For CD-ROM images: imgmount Drive-letter location-of-image -t iso
For hardrive images: Must specify drive geometry for hard drives: bytes_persector, sectors_per_cylinder, heads_per_cylinder, cylinder_count.

The commands seem to then repeat themselves, mounting the D drive again as well as the E drive which generates this message:

MSCDEX: Failure: Drive-letters of multiple CDRom-drive s have to be contiguous.

glyco0

Reply 12 of 23, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you just load ykhwong's dosbox build with a fresh dosbox.conf (or with a clean autoexec section), and then type at the prompt:

imgmount d C:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso C:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso -t iso

And post me any message you may see as a result.

Reply 13 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed your instructions with a clean autoexec portion of the dosbox.conf file and the message I get says:

MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as c:\Ripper\RIPPER1.iso; c:\Ripper\RIPPER2.iso

when I typed in the command dir, it showed the files for Ripper1 disk. When I then hit ctrl + F3 (as suggested), it switched to the other disk. When I play the game, it successfully switches between the two disks.

I think the ctrl + F3 command was what I was missing. Thanks, but why do these commands not work when included in the autoexec portion of the dosbox.conf file?

glyco0

Reply 14 of 23, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good to see it working, but the commands should work in the autoexec section too. I just tried a similar autoexec config like the one you posted, and it worked for me (but with a different game and under linux).

If you just put this single imgmount command as above in the otherwise empty autoexec section, does this work? (You should see the same message.) If not it could be a bug in this build or some bug that only happens on windows.

Reply 16 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured it out! I rearranged things a little as follows:

imgmount d c:\ripper1.iso c:\ripper2.iso c:\ripper3.iso c:\ripper4.iso c:\ripper5.iso c:\ripper6.iso -t iso
c:\ripper /v3

This works great. Thanks everyone!

glyco0

Reply 18 of 23, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I have enjoyed using your dosbox build, I have noticed two problems:

1. The dosbox.conf file seems to repeat every command in the autoexec portion twice.

2. When I exit dosbox, the program freezes and I get the following message:

dosbox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

glyco0