VOGONS

Reply 60 of 71, by Biffco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not particularly computer literate, especially in DOS, but I noticed that i'm having the same problems as people in this thread. I have used Dosbox in the past, but i've had no luck with my Championship manager 96/97 CD. I have managed to install the game onto my hard disk via Dosbox without any problems. But when I try to run it (CM2 EXE or GO BAT) via Dosbox, I get a black window, then back to desktop. It also closes Dosbox completely.

Reply 61 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Please make a small BAT-file that calls MEMCHECK this way:

memcheck 6000000

if errorlevel 1 echo No dice. Can not find 6000000 bytes of memory.

Then run that BAT-file, and tells us the outcome.

If you feel really adventurous, you can make it like this:

@echo off

mem
echo Checking for %1 bytes of memory.
memcheck %1

if errorlevel 1 echo No dice. Can not find %1 bytes of memory.

Then run it with the number of bytes to check for as the first parameter:

C:>mytest.bat 6000000

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 62 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Biffco wrote:

But when I try to run it (CM2 EXE or GO BAT) via Dosbox, I get a black window, then back to desktop. It also closes Dosbox completely.

Please try starting DOSBox with the -noconsole option, and then (after DOSBox has closed down), search for 2 new files: stdout.txt and stderr.txt

Reply 64 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

How do you start DOSBox today? From a short-cut? If so, please do a right-click on the shortcut, and tell me what it says in the Target field. It should be something like

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe"

Reply 66 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Replace it with

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf" -noconsole

Launch DOSBox, mount your drives (you know, that you can edit that "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf" file in Notepad and add the mount commands at the bottom of the file, right?), and do that GO thing.

Next, check if you can see the stdout.txt and stderr.txt files in the "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72" folder.

Reply 68 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And the date/time on that stdout.txt file is?
Anything interesting in it?

Reply 69 of 71, by Biffco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the delays in posting, i'm at work....

The contents of the file......

DOSBox version 0.72
Copyright 2002-2007 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32

Reply 70 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

And the date/time on that stdout.txt file is?

And does it match the time when you crashed DOSBox?