VOGONS

Reply 40 of 71, by Savo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone who has posted on here so far or has borwsed this topic. I have recently tried to run CM2 96/97 on my windows XP computer and it seems the problems I have been having are almost identical to everyone else's! The problem is, I am not particularly computer literate and trying to keep up with the technical advice posted here has made my head spin a little bit.
I am using Dosbox 0.72 and have followed the 60 second guide which has allowed me to install the game, but the problem is that when I try to run the game using the 'go' command in Dosbox, it just drops out and shuts Dosbox down. I know lots of instructions have already been posted for how to deal with this problem but once people started talking about run.cmd and config files I got confused. Is there any way someone could post a step by step idiots guide? Sorry to be a massive pain but this game is worth trying anything for!!!

Reply 41 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

That GO command ... Is it a GO.EXE, GO.COM, or GO.BAT file?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 42 of 71, by Savo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The go command is an MS-Dos Batch file.
I'm not sure how relevant this is but after the initial installation of the game it should take you into the playable game itself, you do not have to type in a run or go command. Basically it still drops out regardless of how the game is started.

Reply 43 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Could you post the content of that GO.BAT (assuming it is not several pages long)?

Reply 44 of 71, by Savo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really sorry but I'm not sure how to do that. If I try to open the file it just tries to run the game (and then crashes out). How do I view the contents so I can copy and paste them into this thread? Sorry to be a pain.

Reply 45 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Use Notepad.

Reply 46 of 71, by Savo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha, ok I managed to get the text from the 'go' file. It reads:

@echo off
cls
memcheck 6000000

if errorlevel 1 goto end

intro
cm2

goto stop

:end
echo Not Enough memory
echo -
echo Read HELP.TXT for more information
echo -

:stop

Reply 48 of 71, by Savo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what a REM is or how to do it to a memcheck. I'm not especially computer literate. If it's point and click I'm fine but once you start getting into the nuts and bolts of everything I need it explained to me. Thanks!

Reply 50 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

REM is short for REMARK - a comment by the programmer, something that the computer should ignore.

If you edit that GO.BAT with Notepad, you can insert REM's in front of the lines that you want DOSBox to ignore, e.g.:

REM cls
REM memcheck 6000000
REM if errorlevel 1 goto end
REM intro

Then the cls (clear screen) command, the memory checking, and the intro will be ignored and you go straight to the real program, CM2.

Reply 52 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well, if running cm2 also drops you out of DOSBox then adding the REM's will not do anything to help. That CM2 that is an EXE-file, right? Can you see the size of it?

If you do a

DIR CM2.*

what do you get?

Reply 53 of 71, by Biffco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same problem as Savo, if I do the DIR CM2 i get.....

Directory of C:\.
CM2 EXE 1,113,981 22-07-2008
CM2 SP 20,880 22-07-2008
2 File(s) 1,134,861 Bytes
0 Dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes Free

I have also tried the free abandonware download of the game but it seemed to be rather watered down so I bought the original 96/97 CD from Ebay. I thought it would work no probs but how wrong could I be? 😁

Any help is greatly appreciated as i'm currently bidding for the 97/98 full game on ebay and it is much more expensive so i'm hoping that we can actually get it running 😀

Reply 55 of 71, by Biffco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many thanks for the link, but my problem is not CD or Laserlok related, I have the game installed on my hard drive with my CDROM and C drive mounted, but when I run CM2.exe or Go.BAT all I get is a blank screen. This is the same problem as the other posters in this thread. 😀

Reply 56 of 71, by Biffco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further to the above, in my CM2 installation I have a MEMCHECK Application. I have just run it via Dosbox and I got the following:

C:\CM2>memcheck
DOS/4GW Proffessional Protected Mode Run-Time Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, inc. 1990-1994
Checking for 0 bytes of available memory.
Requested Memory is not available.

I'm assuming that this is not good.......

Reply 58 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you didn't put anything after the memcheck command.

If nothing is entered then it checks for "0" bytes of memory.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline