VOGONS

First post, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all firstly thanks for a great program and great guides

i have followed the 60 second guide, however am falling at the final hurdle, i cant get the exe file to run that i need to run

the game is championship manager 2

i can get one exe (go.exe) which runs the into to run, (albeit jerkily with dodgy sound & graphics) however cm2.exe does not work, when i run this the emulator just closes down as if minimizing but dissapears from taskbar and running processes,

any tips or advice, i did chceck FAQs but it didn't have anything
thanks guys (i didn't know if this would go in games section or not)
I am running XP

Reply 2 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Did you make any changes to the default DOSBox configuration?

How did you mount the virtual drives in DOSBox?

Which version of DOSBox?

How did you install the game?

How do you start the game?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i havnt touched the original config except by making it automatically mount C and D drives as advised in the 60second guide (but the problem happened before i did this)

i mounted them exactly as it says in the 60 second guide

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\cm2"
Z:>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

i use the lates version of dosbox .65

i installed the game by doing... (after mounting the drives as above) this installed the game as normal from when i played it on a previos version of windows

Z:>D:
D:>install

to start the game there are two directerios 'go' and 'cm2' go starts it by doing an intro where cm2 runs it without the intro,

when using 'go' it shows the into (albeit jerkily) when that has run its course it just closes down, when i enter 'cm2' it makes a few spaces on the dosbox as if loading then closes down

the game is called championship manager 2 (a football/soccer simulator)

thanks

Reply 4 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks. go and cm2 - are they EXE files or BAT files?

Reply 5 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cm2 is .exe

and go is a mos dos batch file

also perhaps worth mentioning 'setsouund' is a .exe file where you configure the sound and this works fine too

AHA!!!! i trieed again and noticed the dosbox window closed a split second before the status window (after trying to run cm2.exe) and i managed to save a screen shot of what the status window said (after many attempts)

and it says

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI: opened device:win32
Exit to error: CPU:GR5:Illegal Call 7

if this helps?

Reply 6 of 71, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well that indicates that zero code has been executed.
It might be possbile to determine the cause for that by debugging, but I don't know if you are experienced with that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am quite computer lieterate at at a intermiediate level but am, very unfamiliar with this problem, if there is anyway to be walked through it our given a guide i would be very grateful

Reply 8 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well, I found a downloadable version of a pre-installed Championship Manager 2 (version 1.56).

It comes with DOS4/GW 1.97.

Works fine for me with DOSBox 0.65 using cpu=dynamic, cycles=24000.

cm20037da.th.png cm20006st.th.png
cm20013uq.th.png cm20020rj.th.png

There is no sound because the person that packed the game, in his own words "I've removed all the unnecessary files (crowd noise, superfluous exes, etc.) to make the total size of the zip file as small as possible".

Reply 9 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok my version should be the same at least as i have it on disc though if you could tell me where you got it i would be grateful (i think this is ok as it is abandonware) dos4gw came with my version but i do not know its function as i have always run the game on windows (until XP came along)

did you do anything special to get this to run or different to what i did above

thanks for all your help if i am taking this slowly but i am really greateful!!

Reply 10 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No, nothing special. It ran really slow on core=normal, but with core=dynamic it became acceptable.

Here is my Run.cmd file to start DOSBox for this game:

@	echo off

if not exist C-drive mkdir C-drive
if not exist capture mkdir capture

if not exist C-drive\CM2 (
echo Copying/installing files to DOSBox C-drive\CM2...
mkdir C-drive\CM2
copy Unzipped\*.* C-drive\CM2
pause
)

start "DOSBox" "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.65\dosbox.exe" %*

and here is my dosbox.conf:

# DOSBox 0.65 configuration for "Championship Manager 2".
#
# By MiniMax

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=24000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

[render]
frameskip=1

[autoexec]
@ echo off

mount C "C-drive"
mount D "Unzipped" -t cdrom

D:

if exist C:\CM2\CM2.Exe C:
if exist C:\CM2\CM2.Exe cd \CM2

echo on

Put Run.cmd and dosbox.conf in an empty directory. Create a directory name Unzipped and put all the unpacked CM2 files into the directory, and start it all by running Run.cmd.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2006-06-13, 23:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks so much!

i relaly did try all i knew/could before replying as you have been a big help

what i did was i copied my full installation from my CD (all sounds and pics) into C:\unzipped so i could directly use your instructions

i have changed my dosbox.conf to your suggestion so it does this at startup,

however this run.cmd has got me stumped!
what is it, do i make one, i kinda get that it is something by clicking it follows the commands to make it easier to get the balls in motion rather than tedious typing in dosbox but i havnt got a clue how to obtain one least of all get it working for me

i would be so greateful if you could just guide me through making one - again i did check through the readme, wiki and guides but couldn't see anything about it

Reply 12 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The CMD-file can be created and edited with Notepad.

All it does is to automate the process of creating a directory to emulate the C-drive, a directory for capturing screenshoots, copy the original files from Unzipped into the CM2 directory, and finally start DOSBox.

It is almost the same as the process I have describe here for a game called Tony and Friends:

Runtime error 002 at 0004:2C46.

When I run CM2 (by clicking on Run.cmd) this is how the directories and files are laid out:

I:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MINIMAX\DOKUMENTER\DOSBOX\OLDGAMES\CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 2
| dosbox.conf
| Run.cmd
|
+---C-drive
| \---CM2
| AILDRVR.LST
| CHANGES.TXT
| cm2.exe
| CM2.SP
| CM2ED.DAT
| CM2ED.EXE
| CM2ED.TXT
| CONFIG.DAT
| DOS4GW.EXE
| ..... Many more files .....
|
\---Unzipped
AILDRVR.LST
CHANGES.TXT
cm2.exe
CM2.SP
CM2ED.DAT
CM2ED.EXE
CM2ED.TXT
CONFIG.DAT
DOS4GW.EXE
..... Many more files .....

Reply 13 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that thread created problems aswsell as solving

do all the instructions you gave him go for me too i mean do i have to go through the cmd.exe etc. ((when i got to cmd.exe and followed it said run was not a exectuble program or batch file not valid application

i have managed to create C:\cm2 which contains the game files and C:\unzipped which also contains the game files and the notepad files with the content you advised.

i dont see how i can 'click' or run run.cmd as it is a notepad file and just opens up showing what i have typed inside it!

i am thoroughly confused

do you think i should perserve with my original game installation from the disc or leave it and try the downloaded version, looking at the two lists of files i believe i should use the disk as they seem identicle except the disc has more content that i would want (sounds pics etc.)

should i make my directories in documents and settings or just C: or does it not matter!

as the guy said about tony i need a lifebelt 🤣

sorry 🙁 i really really appriciate this)

Reply 14 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rabidscouser wrote:

that thread created problems aswsell as solving

do all the instructions you gave him go for me too i mean do i have to go through the "cmd.exe" etc. ((when i got to "cmd.exe" and followed it said run was not a exectuble program or batch file not valid application

I WANT TO KILL BILL GATES for his desire to hide file extensions.

I think I know what has happended here.... When you tried to create Run.cmd using Notepad, Notepad decided to automatically add an .txt extension to the file so the real filename became Run.cmd.txt. And in all their wisdom, the Windows designer thought it would be a neat thing to hide known file-extensions by default, so when you look through the files in Windows Explorer, all you see is Run.cmd - without the .txt.

For your own sanity and mental health, turn that option off. Go to My Computer, doubble-click on your C: drive, go to menu Tools.. => Folder Options... In the Folder Options... window, choose the tab called "Show". Look at the "Advanced options", and un-check the option saying "Hide file extensions for known file types".

Next - find that Run.cmd.txt file and rename it to just Run.cmd.

And while your are at it - find dosbox.conf and make sure that Notepad has not decided to add an .txt extension to that too. If so, rename it to just dosbox.conf.

rabidscouser wrote:

i have managed to create C:\cm2 which contains the game files and C:\unzipped which also contains the game files and the notepad files with the content you advised.

Good - but wish you would move the CM2 and Unzipped directory somewhere else.

E.g. create the folder "My Documents\ OldGames\ Championship Manager 2" and move dosbox.conf, Run.cmd and Unzipped into the "Championship Manager 2" folder.

Then inside the "Championship Manager 2" folder, create a folder called C-drive, and move your CM2 folder to the "Championship Manager 2\C-drive" folder.

Doing so, will make it clearer to you afterwards which files belong to the world outside DOSBox, and which files belong to the game running inside DOSBox.

rabidscouser wrote:

i dont see how i can 'click' or run run.cmd as it is a notepad file and just opens up showing what i have typed inside it!

i am thoroughly confused

Blame Bill Gates! He is playing tricks with what you see and what you don't see..

Your (wrongly) named Run.cmd.txt files opens up in Notepad because Windows decides that .txt files should be opened with Notepad.

When you rename it to just Run.cmd, Windows will see the .cmd extension and will know that it contains instructions it needs to execute.

rabidscouser wrote:

do you think i should perserve with my original game installation from the disc or leave it and try the downloaded version, looking at the two lists of files i believe i should use the disk as they seem identicle except the disc has more content that i would want (sounds pics etc.)

Both! First try with the download-version. Using that you can follow my instructions directly, and we don't have to worry if the problems are due to differences between the CD-version and the download version.

When you start feeling comfortable with how Run.cmd, dosbox.conf and DOSBox works, how virtual drives are mounted, etc, then you and I can repeat the whole excersize with the CD-version.

rabidscouser wrote:

should i make my directories in documents and settings or just C: or does it not matter!

Making them directly in C:\ is not a good idea. When you mount C:\ in DOSBox, DOSBox and the programs your run inside DOSBox will suddenly have access to every file on your PC. Moving it all into a sub-directory of your Documents folder, restricts DOSBox and the games to just that folder.

rabidscouser wrote:

as the guy said about tony i need a lifebelt 🤣

I am partly to blame here. I could have given you are lifebelt, but I prefer to teach you how to swim. It takes longer, but I believe that the end result will be better for you.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2006-06-16, 13:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok that has helped alot

now i am gonna see if we can bridge the gap from the beggining to end
i am using the downloaded game
i now have

C:\my documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2\C-drive which contains my game files WITH the now adapted (and seemingly fine) run.cmd and dosbox.conf

i have C:\my documents\Old Games\unzipped which is identical to the above directory except it does not hold the run and dosbox files

(this doesn't sound right but i am sure you will point me the right way)

run says:

@ echo off

if not exist C-drive mkdir C-drive
if not exist capture mkdir capture

start "DOSBox" "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.65\dosbox.exe" %*

dosbox.conf says

# DOSBox 0.65 configuration for "Championship Manager 2".
#
# By MiniMax

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=24000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

[render]
frameskip=1

[autoexec]
@ echo off

mount C "C-drive"
mount D "Unzipped" -t cdrom

D:

again i am not sure if i should be using the main dosbox.cong file from the main games folder and adding that to the end or just using that.

i have not touched any other main files, i have the cd in the drive though am assuming i dont need it as you managed it without.

what is the next step or what do i need to alter

sorry about the back to basics but it went 0-60 and now back down to 20 again so am just trying to level it out,

i await your reply, thanks

Reply 16 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rabidscouser wrote:

i now have

C:\my documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2\C-drive which contains my game files WITH the now adapted (and seemingly fine) run.cmd and dosbox.conf

Move Run.cmd and dosbox.conf one level up to "C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2".

Click the Windows Start menu (lower left on your screen), then "Run...", and enter "cmd.exe" as the program to run.

At the "cmd.exe" prompt type cd "C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2" and dir:

C:\> cd "C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2"
C:> dir

The result should be like this:

Disk in drive C is xxxxxx
Disk serial number is xxxxxxx

Contents of C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2

13-06-2006 21:08 <DIR> Unzipped
13-06-2006 22:17 359 dosbox.conf
13-06-2006 22:21 356 Run.cmd
13-06-2006 22:21 <DIR> C-drive
rabidscouser wrote:

again i am not sure if i should be using the main dosbox.cong file from the main games folder and adding that to the end or just using that.

I hope you have 2 dosbox.conf files:

1. C:\Programs\DOSBox-0.65\dosbox.conf
  2. C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2\dosbox.conf

The big one in DOSBox-0.65 contains the global settings. Anything in the little one in Championship Manager 2 contains the game-specific settings, and will override the global settings. So the

core=dynamic
cycles=24000

will override the default settings of

core=normal
cycles=3000
rabidscouser wrote:

what is the next step or what do i need to alter

At the "cmd.exe" prompt, type run:

C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2> dir
Disk in drive C is xxxxxx
Disk serial number is xxxxxxx

Contents of C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2

13-06-2006 21:08 <DIR> Unzipped
13-06-2006 22:17 359 dosbox.conf
13-06-2006 22:21 356 Run.cmd
13-06-2006 22:21 <DIR> C-drive

2 file(s)
2 folder(s)

C:\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2> run
Last edited by MiniMax on 2006-06-16, 13:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay i think i am getting it

our dir's match (just to confirm unzipped is within the championship manager 2 folder along with the C-drive and run and dosbox files)

got through the cmd.exe all fine

so i type run and it all loads up dosbox comes up then says:

"Drive C is mounted at local directory C-drive\
MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom.
D:\"

and stops there

same happened with cd in and cd not in

thanks

Reply 18 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Usually you would now have to start the installation program from the CD, but with the downloaded version, the installation process is a litte different:

1. Make a CM2 directory on drive C.
  2. Copy the files from D (Unzipped) into C:\CM2.
Drive C is mounted at local directory C-drive\
MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom.
D:\>C:

C:\>mkdir CM2

C:\>copy D:*.* CM2
SVGED.EXE
SVGED.TXT
TEAMS.LIS
TMDATA.DB1
45 Files(s) copied.

Start the game:

C:\>cd CM2

C:\CM2>cm2

The next time around, the autoexec section of dosbox.conf will put you into the C-drive and the CM2 directory automagically:

Reply 19 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when i did this it said 0 files copied when i tried to copy

would it be easier if at this stage i installed the game from CD then loaded it up as i am more familar with this from previous usage?

or perserve with tihs, i did type exactly as instructed any idea what i may have missed or may not have done