Bio Menace 0.65

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there,

Wizardling wrote:

Bio Menace Episode 3 - Master Cain remains broken in DOSBox 0.74. I've tried the patch that comes with the game, and the two from this forum thread.

Bio Menace Episode 3 - Master Cain hangs at the first screen showing which hardware is supported. It never moves past "Loading: Please wait...". The first two episodes work fine without any patching.

Interestingly, I do recall some weird behaviors encountered in the last year or so while uncompressing... Maybe it's what you get, as a file essential for episode 3 is involved.

Here, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 for the x86_64 arch. Even if you don't use that, it may help if you keep reading, though.
When I extract the contents of bmfreew.zip to some place using the "File Roller" archive manager, AUDIOT.BM3 and BM-HELP.TXT are strangely extracted in broken forms (basically some random kinds of broken symbolic links). The "BM3" extension may be a hint for your issues.

When I'm using the command-line "unzip" command the following way, though, all files appear to be extracted as well (well, at least BM3 loads with some working audio):

~/temp/bmfree$ unzip ~/Downloads/bio_menace/bmfreew.zip

For reference:
md5sum of bmfreew.zip: fc58d1ec7786aeeb15d12e001b1fb5bf
The logged download date of the file, combined with download history in the browser, indicate this was downloaded from 3DRealms's FTP site.

Note that even in the latter case, three files are extracted with a bit of different permissions. In a bit more detailed list: EGAGRAPH.BM2: -rw-rw-r-x
MAPHEAD.BM2: -rw-r---w-
MAPHEAD.BM3: -rw-r--r-x
Rest of files: -rw-rw-r--

---

Any other reports ones may have?

Reply 43 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NY00123 wrote:

Interestingly, I do recall some weird behaviors encountered in the last year or so while uncompressing...

It seems to me the way to check would be to uncompress the archive in Windows and then use the uncompressed files in DOSBox.