Problems with several old demos

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh.

I run across people occasionally who like to validate their reasoning for not using SP2 with various reasons like:

It makes my computer slow!
My application/game stops working!
It crashes my computer!
My hardware won't work with it!

It's been quite some time since I've done this so I don't know if it still works with XP but previously you could simply install all of the updates from Microsoft and not actually have to install the latest SP since all of those individual updates would be included (Except for the SP specific updates of course).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 21 of 32, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> btw, do you think packing Dosbox is really necessary?

The un-rared executable is about 1.2mb, and i don't want
to upload that much (it is not exe-packed). Shouldn't impose
any problems.

Used an older compiler (vs03), maybe that works better.
Just extract the zip archive into a new directory, and
copy missing dlls from some other dosbox release, though
it shouldn't need more than the included ones.
Don't change the cycles (doesn't work anyways), just mount
the directory.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_its.zip
    File size
    593.92 KiB
    Downloads
    249 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 32, by DemoLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I want to mention a few things in this post.
1. Thank you very much for this final build. The demo worked perfectly. It certainly brought back alot of memories. DOSBox rules ... yet again =D! And if you don't mind I'd like to recommend this build as a 'side' build for protected mode dos games to my friends who are familiar with DOSBox. I certainly hope it works pretty much for all the protected mode dos games :s. And again 'wd' you are the saviour of the moment! Thank you!
2. I didn't need to install any service packs. I think my SDL_net was of a different version since your DLL was slightly bigger than the one with official DOSBox 0.36 release.
3. The reason it worked might have been because of VS2003's libararies. I guess you must be using VS2005 or something.
4. I guess right now 3 builds of DOSBox have been able to run ALL the old dos games/apps I know. The main release, CVS build and the 'its' version (I guess I'm going to keep track of all.)

Reply 23 of 32, by DemoLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh and I think it is of great importance to note that, with this version of DOSBox a certain random crash due to a problem with SDL no longer occurs in the game blood. I suggest you update the 0.63 major release's SDL version to the version used in this DOSBox at least.

Reply 30 of 32, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No problemo. A fix for Into the Shadows is now available from my website (pferrie.tripod.com). The patching is minimally invasive, so the performance is not as good as it could be, but it still seems decent. The source is included for anyone to see, and I'm happy to answer questions about the cool gory details that made it work.
For some reason, I got the impression from wd's reply that he thought that it could not be done. :-)

If you have the DOSBox console enabled, you'll see this message: "Invalid link state 5800 when reconfiguring MCB chain". That's Triton's bug, not mine. It's harmless, though, so I didn't fix it.

Reply 31 of 32, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For some reason, I got the impression from wd's reply that he thought that it could not be done. 😀

It's already been done in a noninvasive manner so why shouldn't it be
(easier) with an invasive one.

Reply 32 of 32, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since paging is not enabled, and the instruction causes no exception on its own, it might look tricky to detect when the access should be considered out-of-bounds, and then raise an exception.