VOGONS

PLEASE HELP!

Topic actions

First post, by dreads311

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😠 I downloaded dosbox 0.65 and am running on a brand new HP with Windows XP (5.1). im trying to get my Legend of Kyrandia games runnung and i cant figure it out. Ive been waiting forever to relive these great games and im sure some of you techies out there can give me a quick walthrough/troubleshoot. SOMEONE HELP! p.s.- if i posted this in the wrong forum, forgive the new guy and direct me to the proper place.

Reply 3 of 18, by dreads311

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok..iv installed the game on my hard drive as well as dosbox. first thing, i cant change z:\ to c:\ on the dosbox command prompt even after checking out the faq's and using the mount command. the reply when i do this is "usage mount drive-letter local-drectory so a mount c c:\windows directory as the c: drive in dosbox" which doesnt mean anything to me. also, iv tried to run the game in the windows command prompt and the screen will go black for a minute and then return to windows as if iv dine nothing.

Reply 5 of 18, by dreads311

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok new problem..... i got the z:\ to c:\ and got the prompt to go to C:\WESTWOOD\ but when i enter the KYRACD command (as the intallation process told me to use) i get "unable to load font 8FAT.FNT reinstall program" even though i did reinstall it. im stumped.

Reply 6 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Which version of DOSBox do you have?
How did you "got the z:\ to to c:\" ?
Where did the WESTWOOD directory come from?
How did you reinstall it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 18, by dreads311

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question #1:Dosbox ver. 0.65
#2: in dosbox cmd prompt, typed "mount c". enter. typed "c:" enter.
#3: westwood is the file that contains the game itself (kyracd) was set to the new c: directory in dosbox. (if i phrased that wrong, check dosfreak's faq-newbies illustrated guide step#2 in the link above).
#4: inserted cd. "start", "run", typed "e:\windows\wininst.exe" with e: being my cdrom drive and followed installation prompts. (should it be c:\windows\wininst.exe?). also went through the SETUP prompts after install.

Reply 9 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
dreads311 wrote:

#2: in dosbox cmd prompt, typed "mount c". enter. typed "c:" enter.

That is strange. When I start DOSBox 0.65 and type "mount c" I get an error message???

And the "c:" also results in an error message.

Do you have a magic version of DOSBox that automagically correct your errors?

Attachments

• dosbox-mount-c.PNG
    Filename
    dosbox-mount-c.PNG
    File size
    22.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error message from mount command
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No matter what they say above me, you obviously got Dosbox to work and you are able to mount something as c.
But whatever you are doing, you are making a big mistake with this:

#4: inserted cd. "start", "run", typed "e:\windows\wininst.exe" with e: being my cdrom drive and followed installation prompts. (should it be c:\windows\wininst.exe?). also went through the SETUP prompts after install.

You are using Dosbox to emulate Dos not windows. so do as lofty says and mount your CD-Rom drive in Dosbox as well (mount d e:\)
then change dir to d: (in dosbox with the mount command I wrote, d: is now your CD-Rom drive e:) and then type install or setup and it should do something 😀
To recap, my suggestion is to type the following in Dosbox (followed by a return):
mount c c:\westwood
mount d e:\
e:
setup (or install)

This assumes you have a folder on your C: Drive called Westwood. In the install program let it install to c:\ and whatever program name it wants (C:\Kyrandia perhaps - on your real drive this would be then in c:\westwood\kyrandia)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 18, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It sounds like this is a DOS game but with a windows installer (might have a DOS installer too), so there "shouldn't" be a problem with installing the game from windows and running it from dosbox, as long as the CD drive is mounted in dosbox as well (with the same letter). Still, if there is a DOS installer, I'd use that like Dominus suggests, as Windows XP may be screwing up the installation what with the installer being written for an older version of Windows.
(and as a general rule, you should always use the DOS installer if there is one, because most (later) games with a Windows installer install a Windows version instead of a DOS version).

Reply 13 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That and even worse, a lot of older DOS games can't even read the NTFS filesystem, so they can't even read the HD they're trying to install to, heheh

That shouldn't be too often a problem as long as you start the installer in Windows.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Reply 17 of 18, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Erm... this is pretty obvious. You're typing "mount c", which is not a complete command. The error message tells you exactly what you need to do: type "mount", followed by a drive letter, followed by the name of a local directory (that you wish to mount). So to mount "C:\Windows" as your C-drive, type "mount c c:\windows". To mount your real C-drive as your simulated C-drive (which isn't recommended), type "mount c c:\".

That is what MiniMax is trying to tell you.

To mount your real CD drive E: as the simulated CD drive D:, type "mount d e:\ -t cdrom".