VOGONS

First post, by Wandrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only can hear the music in the introduction, and never the sound effects after trying all the configurations. Does anybody know what to do? In the list of games it says that the game works perfectly, even with sound.

Reply 1 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sound effects were all done via the PC speaker. So you have to make sure you have pcspeaker=true set in your config file. Also, the sound will be extremely fast. For most accurate playback of the PC speaker sounds with Ultima VI (as well as Martian Dreams & Savage Empire which all use the same engine, though I don't remember off hand if they still used the PC speaker or not) I set my cycles to 1250.

There is also a patch that is supposed to slow the PC speaker sounds of Ultima VI down so that they are heard accurately on modern systems. I've tried it myself, both in native XP (3.0Ghz) and with several settings in DOSBox (up to cycles=20000) and in every case it slowed it down way too much (took over 5 minutes to cast a spell in XP - I was timeing it and gave up at that point.) My advice is not to bother with it.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 2 of 9, by Wandrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have activated the Pc-Speaker, and have also tried a CVS build says to give more support for Adlib, but all stays the same, the music only sounds in the introduction and main menu nad the sound never.

Reply 3 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've attached the config file that I use. It assumes that you installed Ultima VI with adlib, which is the music the game was designed around. The game supports several music cards including MT-32, Creative Music System, and Covox Sound Master. However, all of the others convert the adlib data on the fly with varying results (most not that good from what I understand.) If you have set up a different music card, just run the install program again, select adlib this time, (with the default port 388,) and select option #2, retain current character and save settings.

It may not be necessary with DOSBox set to 1250 cycles, but you might want to install the adlib timing patch (link below,) which fixes the timing issue U6 had with adlib cards (depending on system speed to insure the 23ms delay that the adlib HW required.)

http://aiera.timeimmortal.net/ultima6.php Very bottom of page.

I would also suggest that you install Ultima VI initially from within DOSBox. This may have some effect on how it accesses data files, but I am unsure of its necessity. I always play it safe, and don't have easy access to the CD right now to try it the other way.

Finally, my configuration works fine with the Ultima Collection CD version (don't think its any different from any but maybe the floppy version,) and DOSBox v0.63. If you use the current CVS build, the music gets a little wonky at times (for maybe a second at a time, pretty sporadic.) Nothing major, IMHO, but can be a bit of a distraction.

DOSBox SVN Builds CVS Build

Attachments

• Filename
    Ultima6.txt
    File size
    5.15 KiB
    Downloads
    270 downloads
    File comment
    Renamed to a .txt file so it could be attached. Please rename back to a .conf file after download.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Feeding Dragon

Reply 4 of 9, by Wandrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll keep trying but still I couldn't, even with you configuration, make the sound work. It may be some compatibility problem, similarly, in a friend's computer Ultima 7 doesn't work with dosbox, even thought it works perfectly on mine.

I'm using Windows XP, the sound card came with the computer, and I think it is made by VIA, but do not have much more information.

My copy is also from the Ultima Collection CD, and it just copies the games, that came installed, to the hard-drive.

Reply 5 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does adlib and PC speaker sounds work in other games? For example Ultima IV is a free download and you can get a music upgrade patch for it. If you installed both of those and set the music patch to adlib, does the music play, and does it make the annoying beeps & buzzes that Ultima 1-5 are famous for?

p.s. Yes, installing off of the Ultima Collection CD is easy, just copy the Ultima6 folder over to your computer where you want it. Make sure you mark every file, directory, and sub-directory as write-able though (I'm running XP and when I copy from CD everything copies over as read-only.) Then, just to make sure, did you run DOSBox with my config and then run the install.exe to set up the game prior to actually trying to play it?

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 9, by Wandrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hear the buzzings, such as the noises qhen hitting a wall or the lute music in Ultima V. The "Adlib compatible" option in the upgrade works, but if I choose simply "Adlib" it says that it failed to initialize the music driver.

With Ultima 6, yes I did reconfigure using you configuration, and still I could only hear music in the menu and introduction, and never sound.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you only hear sounds in the game (sorry if that was obvious). Go near the clock in LB's castle, for example.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you hear the music during the intro then the music should be configured correctly. If you aren't hearing any music in the game, and you are also not hearing the buzzes & beeps of the PC speaker sounds, then there is really only one thing left to try, that I can think of. Once you are in the game, try hitting CTRL-Z which toggles the sound on & off.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 9 of 9, by Wandrell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not too obvious to me, that got stuck in Ultima VII second part because I didn't know that the serpent tiles had to be double clicked, and in Ultima VIII when burying the necromancer body for a similar reason...

I would never have thought that the game came with the sound turned off, now it works perfectly.