VOGONS

First post, by Apoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

I know that Descent has been talked about in many posts, and I have searched though many of them. I am at a point where I don't know what to do, and this is driving me nuts.
First of all, here is my system:

CPU: P4 3.06ht, 533 FSB
MoBo: Intel
Audio: Realtek AC97
VIdeo: GeForce FX5600 64MB
RAM: 1024 pc2700
HDD: 30GB, 20free
OS: XPsp2, freshly installed, all drivers loaded from HP

Here is my dilemma:

I have the original Descent CD from 1995, and used DOSbox to get it installed. Please note that my dosbox.conf file is stock, no modifications.

1. I got it installed (mounted the appropriate HDD location and CDROM) and got thorugh the setup, autodetected everythiong...but the game ran VERY slowly. I fixed that issue by pressing ctrl-f12 until it sped up. Although the framerate then became smoother, the sound became VERY chopped and distorted...my CPU was only running @ 60% too!

2. To solve this, I decided to start from scratch, by reinstalling DOSbox and trying to reinstall Descent through there. Now I cannot press "enter" within the setup screen for some reason! I just hit escape to exit without any config.

3. Also, alt+enter does absolutely nothing...completely unresponsive.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Reply 3 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The next dosbox version should be able to run descent with the
dynamic core, where it should run smooth.

For the enter-problem: delete the files dosbox.conf and mapper.txt,
and try it again, does this change something?

Reply 4 of 11, by Apoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, the problems with enter have been fixed, thanks!

The SFX/music sound just like on my old P1 machine...but the skipping is horrible!
CPU still at 60% but the skipping gets worse as I increase the cycles!

Reply 5 of 11, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using a dual-core processor? If so, dosbox can only use 50% of the total CPU time, as it can only use one core.

Btw, there is a windows port of Descent (1&2 together), but I think you do need Descent 2 to be able to use it at all. http://www.descent2.de/d2x.html

Reply 6 of 11, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alternatively, download a cvs version of dosbox like the one at http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm . This will be faster, and will work with the dynamic core. It makes descent *barely* playable on my P3-1.15Ghz. 😀

Aah, I just noticed your cpu has hyperthreading, which windows treats as dual-core,, so that's why the 60% cpu usage.

Reply 7 of 11, by Apoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lofty- you're the MAN

I downloaded the CVS build from that link, and now it runs Descent like a charm, with high framerate, good sound, and get this- it uses 20% of the CPU tops!
I enabled dynamic core, and cranked up the cycles all the way to 22000.

Problem solved.
Thanks for your quick replies.

Reply 8 of 11, by mazzia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This probably comes too late, but oh well I'm slow. FOR ALL GAMES with slow choppy graphics. Crank those cycles. Use D-Fend frontend for dosbox. Set-up profile with memory at 64, which is the max requirement for most of these games anyway, and ddraw rendering. Open <Game Name>.conf, in the D-Fend confs folder, in notepad or whatever. Copy these over your existing settings:
For speed:

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=125000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

for Sound:

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=1
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=44100
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220

this works for me, you might have to change your dmas or irq. I think it's usually this, maybe not. Hope this helps somebody. Descent STILL RULES!

Reply 11 of 11, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the sourceport if you turn off coloured lighting is rather good.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website