VOGONS

First post, by pucpuc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

been trying to get this one to work for a while.

Its the best home pong console sim I've seen so far,
First game here: http://www.pong-story.com/pcpong.htm
attached game zipfile here cause download insn't availiable anymore

any suggestions would be great

edit: attachment removed

file can be found here http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=4022&letter=P

Last edited by pucpuc on 2016-01-22, 12:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There's a page fault with the included r2 release of CWSDPMI.EXE, but it appears to work okay with the r5 release that you can get here (Internet Archive link because author's page seems to be down or gone).

Reply 2 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The pong-story.com claims the downloads are gone because of copyright infringement. i don't think the download should be hosted by Vogons then... 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CWSDPMI is Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Charles W Sandmann (cwsdpmi at earthlink dot net) 1206 B […]
Show full quote

CWSDPMI is Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Charles W Sandmann (cwsdpmi at earthlink dot net)
1206 Braelinn, Sugar Land, TX 77479

This is release 7. The files in this binary distribution may be redistributed
under the GPL (with source) or without the source code provided:

* CWSDPMI.EXE or CWSDPR0.EXE are not modified in any way except via CWSPARAM.

* CWSDSTUB.EXE internal contents are not modified in any way except via
CWSPARAM or STUBEDIT. It may have a COFF image plus data appended to it.

* Notice to users that they have the right to receive the source code and/or
binary updates for CWSDPMI. Distributors should indicate a site for the
source in their documentation.

Release 1 had a clause about bundling which disappeared somewhere before release 4.

* Distribution with commercial or shareware programs is allowed but requires
notification of the author by mail or acknowledged email

By what I've read of it's licensing terms, I don't think there's any issues with preserving CWSDPMI in all it's revisions. However, the most polite way to do this would be extending an offer to host the files. Sandmann's most recent DJGPP postings use his Earthlink address, so that's appears current.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Fail! My post was not about cwsdpmi but the attached pong clone. Hence my pointer at pong-story.com...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 15, by pucpuc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

The pong-story.com claims the downloads are gone because of copyright infringement. i don't think the download should be hosted by Vogons then... 😉

I think this was paranoia - the simulated chip is not from atari, the program is made from scratch - I don' see any reason for copyright infringement. If needed I'll remove the link, but this program can not be found on the internet anymore.

thank you very much ripsaw8080 for the CWSDPMI.EXE hint - will test this ASAP.

Reply 6 of 15, by pucpuc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

There's a page fault with the included r2 release of CWSDPMI.EXE, but it appears to work okay with the r5 release that you can get here (Internet Archive link because author's page seems to be down or gone).

Yes! it works! thank you very much!

Reply 7 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pucpuc wrote:

I think this was paranoia - the simulated chip is not from atari, the program is made from scratch - I don' see any reason for copyright infringement.

It's more of a 'trademark infringement'. The "Atari" down in France sees squatting on legacy IP as better market value than what they release now

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 15, by pucpuc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It's more of a 'trademark infringement'. The "Atari" down in France sees squatting on legacy IP as better market value than what they release now

I think they stopped hunting down games with pong in the name - there is battle pong http://www.ponggame.org/
Plasma Pong ... so many pong games with "pong" in the name on the internet - seems they gave up.

Reply 10 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Fail!

So I see.

Dominus wrote:

My post was not about cwsdpmi but the attached pong clone. Hence my pointer at pong-story.com...

Fair enough. Offering to mirror CWSDPMI would be a cool thing to do, though. Rice University might have finally gotten around to yanking his account.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interestingly this has been documented at dosbox.com since 2013.
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=4022&letter=P

I've talked to the Pong-Story guy before, I can easily ask if he got a cease&desist from Atari lawyers.

It's pretty unlikely Sam Greenaum cares, he probably wanted it to spread. But yeah, VOGONS doesn't normally support or traffic in abandonware. Thanks people for remaining vigilant. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 15, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pucpuc wrote:
leileilol wrote:

I think they stopped hunting down games with pong in the name - there is battle pong http://www.ponggame.org/
Plasma Pong ... so many pong games with "pong" in the name on the internet - seems they gave up.

Thanks for the reminder about the existence of Plasma Pong. It unfortunately has suffered the cease and desist though. 🙁

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 14 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

leileilol was absolutely right BTW - I asked the website admin for Pong-Story.com and he admitted that yes, Atari's lawyers did email him over hosting games that violated their trademark on PONG, and that is why many were taken down. Anything that didn't mention a name in-game, he changed the name of and kept on the site. A bit revisionist but at least he can offer something. So there ya go, pucpuc.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 15, by pucpuc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

leileilol was absolutely right BTW - I asked the website admin for Pong-Story.com and he admitted that yes, Atari's lawyers did email him over hosting games that violated their trademark on PONG, and that is why many were taken down. Anything that didn't mention a name in-game, he changed the name of and kept on the site. A bit revisionist but at least he can offer something. So there ya go, pucpuc.

thanks for your research, it was not my intention to spread software that is forbidden here.
I'm really impressed how much feedback my post caused and I'm really happy that I can run this game again.