VOGONS

First post, by cyro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to establish a Doom 2 deathmatch game with a friend of mine over the internet and it's become quite frustrating, I was hoping someone could help us solve this issue.

We are both running Windows 7 machines 64 bit.
Using the latest version of DosBox 0.74.
Using Doom2 version 1.9.
We have followed all the instructions
Here is what we have done:

1. First and foremost, Changed Ipx:false to Ipx:true in the dosbox.conf file.
2. Next, created a server in HAMACHI in which my friend connected to thru HAMACHI.
3. In DosBox, The Host (me) started server: IPXNET CONNECT STARTSERVER
4. My friend then connects to me: IPXNET CONNECT (my HAmachi IP)
5. I ensure that he is connected by typing IPXNET STATUS... all is well so far.
6. We mount our drives in DOSBOX.
7. To host the game I type: c:/games/doom2/DM
8. I come to the setup screen where I choose IPX Network , 2 players, deathmatch, no monsters, already connected, Doom episode 1, map 1, COM1, Respawn, and hit F10 to Go!
9. My friend goes into c:/games/doom2/DM and selects the same options...
10. We both get the same result:

DOOM NETWORK DEVICE DRIVER
Attempting to find all players for 2 player net play. Press ESC to Exit.
Looking for a node.......
Found a node!
Communicating with interupt vector 0x60
Returned from DOOM

And suddenly we are back at the Dos prompt.

11. I went ahead and tried it this way as an alternative: c:/games/doom2/ipxsetup.exe -deathmatch -nodes 2 -nomonsters

12. Same result.

Mind you, we have had NO PROBLEMS in achieving a deathmatch game for DOOM1 and HERETIC over IPX.

DOOM2 is the only one giving us an issue yet it's the one we really want to play due to all the nostalgic WAD files we have from back in the day....

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Cyro

Reply 1 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure you're both using the same version of Doom 2?

You may want to try using a modern Doom engine like Skulltag / ZDoom / GZDoom. Some of them can even be configured to look/feel/behave almost identical to the original engine if you really want to.

Reply 2 of 2, by Archy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I know how to fix this... First off, does your Doom 1 (not 2) death manager look like this?
dm_000.png

If yes (meaning DM's v1.2), then try this. If it's not the same as in the picture, still try this as it might work.

Let's say this is your DOS games directory, and these are the folders:

DOOM
HERETIC
DOOM2

While in Windows 7, go to your DOS game directory and copy and past the folder "DOOM" in the same directory.

This should now be the DOS games directory:

DOOM
DOOM - Copy
HERETIC
DOOM2

Rename the folder "DOOM - Copy" to "DOOM2DM". Go into DOOM2DM and delete EVERY PWAD, DOOM.exe, and DOOM.wad. Now copy DOOM2.wad and DOOM2.exe (along with any DOOM2 PWADS) into "DOOM2DM."

Now, do the same thing you've always done but instead of using the "DOOM2" folder, use the "DOOM2DM" folder.

If this doesn't work, I have another solution but it's a little... different. Also, you're probably wondering how in the world this would work but I decided not to explain, but if you want an explanation, I'll be glad to give it.

Anyways, I'd seriously love to play multiplayer with you sometime, been forever since I've played Vanilla Doom online and I'm starving for a deathmatch.