VOGONS

First post, by beerslayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, all -

I've searched the forum and not found anything related to this issue, so I hope I'm not rehashing old territory here. Also, I haven't posted anything about my machine's hardware configuration since I seriously doubt it's relevant, but if I'm wrong I'll provide whatever's necessary.

I'm trying to run an old DOS program called "Bridge Deluxe II with Omar Sharif" under DOSBox 0.74. The program itself runs fine, but now I want to set it up to emulate a network connection over my internal network so that two players can directly compete/partner against one another. Since this capability is supposedly supported by the program, I think this should be possible in DOSBox, right?

Yet whenever I try to access the bridge program's "Network" configuration, it immediately throws up an error: "SHARE.EXE must be loaded". If I remember correctly, SHARE.EXE was a component of DOS that supported networking, and does not exist under Windows. It is apparently not emulated by DOSBox, either.

What I'm looking for is a way to fool Bridge into thinking SHARE.EXE is loaded and active under DOSBox. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Would I have to set up a special DOS boot floppy image with SHARE.EXE enabled? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!

When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. -- Tom Lehrer

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

File sharing and locking on the host are not supported in DOSBox, so the absence of SHARE.EXE emulation is understandable.

It is possible to simulate the presence of SHARE.EXE (i.e. fake it), which would get past the game's check, but that doesn't mean the game will then work correctly. It might appear to work, but it will likely mess up or fail at some point due to the lack of real file sharing.

You can't build a shared file access situation around booting real DOS, as the drive images aren't shared. However, you might be able to load a network shell in MB6 and map a network drive that has real file sharing support, but not sure about that.