VOGONS

Reply 60 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well sheepdip! Closer but not there yet. With the above setup I was able to load the default save game and begin playing,
but once I entered the Inn and tried to save, it choked trying to find the floppy drive and expected files. And it doesn't
look like it will load the DKK files either from the save game directory. It's hard to believe that the newest ad&d goldbox
game is the pickiest about actually using a floppy drive and not just where you point it to. Especially frustrating when
the desired better soundtrack is in there, just waiting to be played, if the setup would just write a correct configuration file.

Reply 61 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone at Bit O' Moander posted a screenshot of a DOS configuration screen for DQK -- but it seems to only be accessible if one's installing the game from floppy discs (and, although I do happen to also have the floppy-disc version of DQK, I no longer have a floppy drive on any of the computers in the house -- and I'm not quite desperate enough to buy an external floppy drive on eBay just so I can play 1 game! 😅 ). Your workaround to fool DQK into thinking it has a floppy drive to save games to makes sense, so I'll try it (after reinstalling the game). I ran into the same messed-up graphics problem as Tempus2 when using the CONFIGUR utility within DQK to change the sound. Now if only some kind soul would post a YouTube video of the DQK intro & demo (any platform) with the music & graphics both working . . .! 😎

Reply 62 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rats! 😵 So DQK can't be tricked into thinking the save game directory is a floppy drive? Well, I'll at least reinstall the game for now, and spend some time 3-hole punching the printout I made of the rulebook/Adventurer's Journal (plus a couple of walkthroughs I found online). I still have my copy of SSI's cluebook, too, so at least I've got some reading material for in between troubleshooting this game and the chores of real life. 🙄

Reply 63 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, this is the best I can come up with so far. It should work provided your games are installed to C:\dosgames\wizworx\dqk
and C:\dosgames\wizworx\dkk on your HD. And that C:\dosgames is mounted as C in Dosbox's conf file. So that they are
seen as C:\wizworx\dqk and C:\wizworx\dkk from inside Dosbox. If they are, then this config will load your DKK saved games,
play Soundblaster sound and music, and VGA graphics. It will also save and load your games in the DQK\save directory properly...

Sounds almost too good to be true yes? So of course it is! After saving your game, it will get caught in a loop looking for
something it can't find, so you then need to forcible close down Dosbox, by pressing Ctrl+F9. You can then reload your last
save game and continue on. Yeah it's a real PITA, but "it is what it is" so far hehe. File attached below, DQKCFG.zip. Extract it
and then copy it into your dqk\disk1 directory overwriting the file already there, you might want to back that file up somewhere
before doing so. Work with it and let me know how it works for you. I'm so dang close to figuring this out, it's bugging me.
The stupid WW installer has set some attribute to only use the floppy drive to save games, and that setting it what is
causing this last hiccup, but I'm damned if I know where it is!

Attachments

• Filename
    DQKCFG.zip
    File size
    154 Bytes
    Downloads
    395 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 64 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tempus2, you are a saint! 😁 (Or, to put it in "Gold Box" game terms: "Congratulations! The party has earned experience!") I copied my original DQKCFG file to my Documents folder, copy-and-replaced the alternate DQKCFG file you provided the link for into the DQK/DISK1 directory, and voila! The graphics and sound I haven't heard together since my two oldest kids were babies are back at last! My now-teenage kids were quite impressed -- and they're not tempted to use the CD as a teething toy nowadays, the way they did with Mom & Dad's floppy discs back in the day. 😊 Again, job well done, and thank you so much! 😀

Reply 65 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woohoo nailed the sucker! All right, the remaining problem is using the wizworx or probably anything else besides Dqk in the save
game structure. Once I made a Dqk directory and copied the game into that directory. Then ran configur to set Soundblaster
sound and tell it where Dkk is stored, for loading up your old party. I then had to use a hex editor to fix the Dqk.cfg file, since
configur sets one of the settings to something that causes the graphics corruption. Then I ran the game in Dosbox and it loads
Dkk games and saves and loads correctly now, with Soundblaster sound and VGA sparkles.

So try this, in your Wizworx directory right click and hold and drag/copy first the Dqk directory into the main dosgames directory,
then repeat with your Dkk directory. So that their now in a directory like C:\dosgames\Dqk and the same for Dkk. Now d/l, extract
and replace this new dqk.cfg into your new dosgames\dqk\disk1 directory. If I haven't made any blunders along the way,
everything should be daisies. Third time's a charm as they say. Ok my OCD is now satisfied so I can relax 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    Dqkpartdeux.zip
    File size
    140 Bytes
    Downloads
    360 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 66 of 67, by nothingisnecessary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK this is an old question but just in case somebody else has probs like I did...

The typical import path didn't work for me.

To transfer from pool to curse, I used copycurs.exe and i was able to add imported characters from pool (didn't try hillsfar, but hillsfar is dumb) - I was able to add these characters from "POOL" before starting adventuring in Curse.

However, in Secret of the Silver Blades, I copied the char files (.GUY, .SWG, .FX -- easiest way was to just to sort C:\curse\save by date modified descending, then click and drag to c:\secret\save

But when I started secret, it wouldn't "ADD" anything from curse.. lame

So after reading a bit on this form, I created a new dummy character in secret, then began the game, then saved the game (after the mayor finally shut up, like 6 screens of dialog), exited game, started game, loaded game, and then added characters from curse. Voila! I remember the import option "just working" back in '91 (or whenever) but i've killed a ton of brain cells since then, so..

(waste of 15,000 xp, but at least you can trade the equip to your imported chars)

Reply 67 of 67, by nothingisnecessary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to clarify... I didn't spend a bunch of time testing this thoroughly so one of the 4 things i tried may have done the trick.. seemed to be a combination of:

1. load a saved game from curse... not the one right after you beat the game because it will just say "You already raped Tyranthraxus (again)" and just quit.. (alternately you can beat the game again and make sure you follow these steps BEFORE exiting game - if you dont want to go through the hassle of beating again (but you do want your fair share of XP), launch curse with cheats enabled: "c:\curse\start STING Wooden" and then just hit ALT-X to auto-win each battle ("The Gods of code have intervened") all the way through to Tyranthraxus)

2. Drop all equipment from each character (you wake up naked in silver blades anyway, so bye bye long sword +5). I did not drop any money, just "items" (make sure you un-ready items first). Easy way to check that you're done is the "Items" option is missing when you View each char.

3. Remove each char from party. Overwrite if prompted. (otherwise it will try to create unique filenames with a number at the end)

4. Exit curse

5. Start Secret

6. Try to "ADD" from "CURSE" (if it works, you're luckier than I was!)

7. If 6 didn't work, create a new garbage character as fast as you can, and begin the game. skip through dialog until you can camp and save, then exit to dos.

8. Start Secret, load game from 7, "ADD" from "CURSE" (worked for me this time), add 5 of your chars, trade temp char's items/money to the others, drop temp char (or remove), then add your 6th imported member from curse, and go forth to crush your enemies