VOGONS

Reply 40 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried removing my characters from their party in Gateway and copy/pasted them into the Treasures save directory (the 3 file types associated with each removed character in Gateway are .FX, .GUY, and .SWG; I copy/pasted all 3 for all 6 characters). When I tried to "add character to party," though, "add from Gateway" produced a "can't find Gateway directory" message, and "add from Treasures" came up empty. I took a look at the file types for the characters in the pre-generated saved game A in Treasures, and I noticed that they're slightly different (.EFX instead of .FX in Gateway, and .THG instead of .SWG in Gateway; the .SAV file type is the same for characters within a saved game in Gateway and Treasures -- but I haven't yet looked at what .SAV changes to in Treasures when a character is removed from a party). I wonder if I could rename each of my characters' files with the appropriate file extensions for Treasures, and be able to add them to a Treasures party then?

Reply 41 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update to last message: .SAV files (for characters within a saved game) change to .PC files (for characters removed from a party) in Treasures (they changed to .GUY files in Gateway). So, if just renaming the 3 files for each character with the appropriate Treasures file extensions were to work, each .FX file would need to be renamed as a .EFX file; each .GUY file would need to be renamed as a .PC file, and each .SWG file would need to be renamed as a .THG file.
I have no idea if this will work, but (since I copy/pasted the character files instead of click&dragging them) I still have the characters in the Gateway save directory, so I could try something else if changing the file extensions doesn't work.

Reply 42 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried renaming the file extensions to those used in Treasures for the characters I had copy/pasted from the Gateway save directory -- but it didn't work. ("Add from Treasures" just shows the 6 characters I removed from the pregenerated party; "Add from Gateway" still gets the "can't find Gateway directory" message. Perhaps if I were to reinstall Treasures, create a Gateway save directory within the Treasures save directory, copy/paste the removed characters from Gateway into that new directory, and then specify that as the save path for Gateway?
(Alternatively, now that I've got the characters removed from their party in Gateway, I could reinstall Treasures and then try adding the characters to a Treasures party without copy/pasting them into Treasures first; at least that sounds like the way the game expects to find the characters.)

Reply 43 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Treasures cannot find the save directory in Gateway, either for moving a saved game or for moving individual characters. (At least not with the default save path name.) I suppose the next step might be to create a Gateway save directory within the Treasures save directory (after reinstalling Treasures again, of course), and then specify that as the save game path for Gateway when booting Treasures for the first time after the reinstall. (That's a project for tomorrow, though; I need to get some sleep!)

Reply 44 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok this is going to take some work. You'll have to learn how to move among directories inside Dosbox and
some other basic Dos commands. And it looks like from your previous msgs that your directories may not be the
default game ones? C:\Treasures instead of C:\Treasure? I would make sure it's Treasure so that the program can
find the save game directory without problem. After setting this up, you'll have to correctly set your dosbox
dosbox-0.73.conf file and fix your Treasures and possible Gateway .cfg files, to point to your corrected
directories.

In Dos, your games would be installed on your C drive. So multi-part games like these, would know where to
find the other games resources, as long as you installed them in their default directories. So Treasure's would
know that it's saved game path is C:\TREASURE\SAVE and that Gateway's is C:\GATEWAY\SAVE. This is
one of the main reasons I have a parent dosbox install directory, that acts like my C drive "G:\Dos". So that
when I mount this directory as C, every directory in it is accessible in dosbox. So all that I have to do, in order to
allow Treasures to load up Gateway's characters or save game files, is to point treasure.cfg to my correct
directories. In my case it's
C:\WIZWORX\TREASURE\SAVE\
C:\WIZWORX\GATEWAY\SAVE\
and both of those directories are installed in my G:\DOS parent games directory, which is mounted as C in
dosbox.

It doesn't help much if you have your games correctly installed to your real C drive, because dosbox only sees
the directories you mount in it. And I would recommend you not mount and use your real C drive as C in
dosbox. I suggest you create a directory on your C drive or drive of your choice, to mount as your C drive in
dosbox, and then put your games in it to play them with dosbox. Ex (C:\DOSGAMES, C:\GAMES) So let's say
you choose C:\DOSGAMES and mount that as C in dosbox. You then drag a copy (you don't want to lose or
destroy your original game directories) of both your game directories into that parent directory C:\DOSGAMES.
Here's an example of what your dosbox-0.73.conf might look like with this setup, at the bottom at the autoexec
line.
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C C:\DOSGAMES
#missing line for your cdrom configuration you'll have to fill in
C:
CD Treasure

And your Treasure.cfg saved game paths would look like this
C:\TREASURE\SAVE\
C:\GATEWAY\SAVE\

This works for me and since they changed the data format from Gateway to Treasures (how annoying!) it
may be the only way you can do this. Get some dos guru help and get everything setup, and look it over well
to make sure you understand and have everything set properly. With some luck and some tweaking you should
be able to get this working! And by using a parent dosbox games directory, you'll be ready for future game
complications hopefully.

Reply 45 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Gamefest installer was wanting to install Treasures of the Savage Frontier to C:\Program Files (or it might have been Program Filesx86)\Interplay\Treasures of the Savage Frontier, so I had shortened that to C:\Treasures (because I normally consider Program Files to be a nuisance). I can create something like a "dosgames" directory, copy both Gateway and Treasures into that directory, and modify the dosbox-0.73.conf as you suggested, though.

Reply 46 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reinstalling Treasures of the Savage Frontier to c:\treasure, then creating a "dosgames" directory and copying both the Savage Frontier games into it, worked! 😀 It really wasn't that much different to mount the DOSGAMES directory and then change directory to the game I wanted, instead of mounting just the individual game -- I had just been too lazy to create a directory just for the old DOS games, and hadn't truly understood why that was a good idea until this situation cropped up. (All those old DOS commands are coming back to mind from 15-20 years ago -- as is the memory of letting my spouse deal with installing and finding workarounds for all those cranky later DOS games. 😅 Windows 95 and its successors through Windows 7 have spoiled me!)
Treasures was very generous in allowing my old characters from Gateway to save the vast majority of their money and gear. My party had acquired several spares of magical weapons and armor in Sundabar and Ascore, and so they won't have to dip into their stash of gems and jewelry for training costs or anything else for quite a while! 🤑

Reply 47 of 67, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Have fun Miss 😀
You can setup shortcuts to play the games to save you some typing.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 48 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just finished "Treasures of the Savage Frontier!" (First "Gold Box" series I actually completed -- including back when I was first playing them years ago!) Might try installing "Champions of Krynn" from my old Wizardworks compilation CD-ROM next (saw instructions for that on another site, so will consult that before posting questions here).

Reply 49 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That web page I remembered with the instructions for installing and running "Champions of Krynn" from the Wizardworks CD-ROM (http://www.dusk-and-dawn.com/?p=124) was written for Windows XP, and doesn't really help with getting the game from the CD-ROM to the hard drive under Vista (let alone Windows 7, which came with the computer I've been running the two "Savage Frontier" Gold Box games on). Looks like I'll have to mount the CD-ROM drive within DOSBox and install "Champions of Krynn" from within DOSBox.

Reply 50 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That would be the easiest way to do it. I would also recommend that you mount the virtual game directory you created for
the previous games and install it to there. Which will make it easier to transfer over your toons as you complete each game.
Just remember to run the game from it's directory and not the game cd to avoid bugs. And congratulations on completing
the Savage series!

Last edited by tempus2 on 2010-01-13, 16:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was a little fuzzy on how to have both my DOSGAMES directory mounted as the C: drive and my computer's CD-ROM drive (E: ) mounted as the D: drive within DOSBox at the same time (I had read the tutorials here on Vogons, but hadn't quite "gotten it" yet), but then I found a webpage which explained about mounting drives within DOSBox for fans of the old DOS-based Sierra games, and it finally "clicked." 😅 Anyway, I opened DOSBox, got both my DOSGAMES directory & my CDROM drive mounted, inserted my old Wizardworks AD&D Collector's Edition CD-ROM, and got "Champions of Krynn" installed to the hard drive, and can load it without the CD-ROM! (I just checked that to make sure.) Now to dig out my old Clue Book & print out the rest of the documentation, and I can start playing! 😀 (BTW, I've noticed that the older SSI Gold Box hintbooks were more sturdily constructed than the newer ones -- my "Treasures of the Savage Frontier" hintbook was falling apart, whereas the "Pool of Radiance" hintbook was near-pristine.)

Reply 52 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just finished the final battle in Champions of Krynn this morning -- twice, actually (the first time my half-elf ranger got killed, and the outpost temple was unsuccessful at doing a "raise dead" on him). I might wander about the wilderness just a bit before installing Death Knights of Krynn -- not so much for the extra XPs from random encounters (at least 2 characters have already maxed out their levels within COK), as for the chance to perhaps go shopping for a few more magic items before transferring the characters (I couldn't really afford much when I was in Jelek on mission, so I'd particularly like to revisit the magic shop there). 😀

Reply 53 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the shops in Jelek were gone; however, the random encounters in the wilderness included some deeply-discounted travelling magic shops (also useful for unloading small change from random monster encounters in the wilderness). I wandered around the W half of the wilderness map until I got bored (and my oldest son woke up and wanted time to play his games), then got Death Knights of Krynn installed from the Wizardworks CD-ROM. DKK allows importing entire saved games from COK, so I did that, but removed my half-elf ranger and replaced him with his full-blooded human cousin (per the Adventurer's Journal, the half-elf would have maxed out his levels before I'd complete DKK -- and since I'd eventually like to take this party all the way through Dark Queen of Krynn, the half-elf had to retire). I did keep my LG human fighter, though (I intend to dual-class her as a paladin once I get the party to its first training hall). Happy New Year, everyone!

Reply 54 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out when I finally got to the training hall in Gargath that the tradeoff for "Knight Change Order" in the training hall menu was no option for "Human Change Class" -- so my LG human fighter retired (probably taking a permanent job in the Gargath Keep garrison), and her cousin the paladin took her place (& items).
I also have been forcibly reminded of just how frequent encounters with undead are in this game (and they tend to be the tougher-to-turn, level-draining varieties, too!). I was so happy to finally reach Kalaman -- mainly because of the temple near the entrance (which conveniently calculates just how many "Restoration" spells each party member needs -- and doesn't charge for them, either)! 😅

Reply 55 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a minor ignorant Death Knights of Krynn magic items question:
In the Cursed Village (between Vingaard Keep and the Dragon Pit), one of the items you receive as a reward for helping destroy the meteorite is an Olin's Quarterstaff. Other than it being a magical blunt weapon (so it can damage undead and creatures who can't be harmed by normal weapons), is there anything else I should know about it? (f.ex. is it +1/+2/+3? any other special features?) 😕

Reply 56 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to http://www.textfiles.com/adventure/dkok.sol
"You'll get Olin's Quarter Staff, a valuable weapon that can stun any creature for at least 2 rounds, even dragons." Sounds like a handy weapon.

Reply 57 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured out the stunning effect by having my paladin use Olin's Quarterstaff in combat occasionally (usually against undead, though -- so although it said they're "stunned," I'm not entirely sure it really stunned undead enemies, too).
Just installed Dark Queen of Krynn from the Wizardworks CD-ROM. The VGA graphics are looking great (which I remember I had trouble with 15 years ago using this same CD-ROM on a Windows 95 system pre-DOSBox). However, the music is that awful PC speaker garbage (actually, the combat sound effects are OK, but the music really grates! -- especially since I remember what the SoundBlaster/AdLib music sounded like installed off original SSI floppies back in 1992). Has anyone been able to get the DQK music soundcard support working properly? 😅

Reply 58 of 67, by CatherineMcClarey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can see I'm also going to have to do some finagling to get my Death Knights of Krynn characters transferred into Dark Queen of Krynn. When going from Champions of Krynn to Death Knights of Krynn, I was prompted to specify save paths for both games when I ran DKK the first time, and the default save paths (C:\WIZWORX\COK\SAVE and C:\WIZWORX\DKK\SAVE, I believe) worked just fine -- I was able to load a COK saved game within DKK, and then (after creating 2 new characters to replace 2 who would have reached their level caps before I completed DKK) I was good to go.
When I installed DQK to my hard drive from the Wizardworks CD-ROM within DOSBox today, the CD-ROM asked me to specify whether I wanted VGA, EGA, or Tandy graphics, but there were no prompts to select what kind of sound I wanted or to designate save paths either during installation or when I first booted up the game (from the hard drive directory mounted within DOSBox). The main menu in DQK has an option to "Load save game" from either TDQK or DKK, but doesn't seem to notice my DKK save game path, and asks me to insert a save game disc if I try loading the default save game A from DQK. What do I need to do differently?

Reply 59 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Take a floppy installed Dos game, add a half-assed HD installation routine, that still counts on the original floppy option for
saving games. And wrap it all in yet another poorly written install utility, for installing on W95/98 and beyond. And you
get a Wizardsworks game compilation that doesn't work for squat!

I don't have a good fix for this at this time, but I do have a work-around. You'll have to create a virtual floppy drive
directory in your dosgames parent directory and point Dosbox to it. In Xp and below you can also just mount your real floppy
A drive and point Dosbox to that. But I don't know if that will work on Vista or beyond, plus many systems don't even have
a floppy drive anymore. So let's begin. I'm going to be making a lot of assumptions about where and how your game is installed,
you'll have to tweak them to match your real settings. (ack I found a simpler set of directories and instructions, so modding this
for them)

Install the game from the WW cdrom and pick V for VGA graphics. Then open your Dosbox .conf configuration file and add the
following command near the bottom, in the autoexec configuration area.

mount A C:\dosgames\wizworx\dqk -t floppy

(I don't have a clue what the floppy command switch does, but assume it tells Dosbox to emulate floppy drive commands to
said device. It works for me this way, so that's really all I need. If there is a reason not to do it this way, I'm all ears!)

Ok so now Dosbox thinks your DQK save game directory is your A drive and will write and read your saved games to it. I would
now try copying over your DKK saved games into your C:\dosgames\wizworx\dqk\save directory and see if they will now load
up properly. These instructions are pretty rough and I may have made some mistakes in them, so will have to see how they
work out.

Any attempt I made to select a different sound device or change where DQK points the save game directory to, seemed to
corrupt the DQK.cfg file and garbled the graphics again. It's not just a plain text file and I don't know how to change it while
keeping the VGA options working. I'll edit this later if I think of anything else or need to fix it.