VOGONS

Another Aces of the Deep Problem....!!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,I must admit, my PC is a little different. When I built my last PC, I bought the case from a UK Company called Maplin, they are a general PC/Electronics store like Tandy in the U.S. Well, they had a sale on 'hard disk caddies'. Down from £12 ($16) to £5 (($7.50) with the caddie holder free if you bought three caddies. So what I did was installed a HD caddy holder under my DVD drive in a spare slot. I have since bought 6 more, along with cheap 160gb+ drives. I have 9 hard drives with over a Terrabyte of disk space, and I just slide in the disk caddy I want at any one time, turn on the PC, and XP sees it and sets it up for me. This way I can have a application disk for work, DOS games, etc (on a FAT32 disk) on another, and modern RPG's, strategy, sim and shooters each on their own disks. I have a whiteboarsd on the wall where I keep everything up to date.

I suppose the PC, the caddy's and the HD drives cost around £550 all together. And I still have around 300gb of space on my drives! 😀

This means my DVD drive is M, my main disk is partitioned as C and D my SATA is X and my various partitioned caddy disks are labelled T-W (single partitioned disk would be T, double partitioned would be T and U, etc).

This has caused me no problems (touch wood!) and a lot of flexibility, and luckily I play more and more DOS games as I have so few problems with them compared with modern games! Hence my purchase of the Aces of the Deep CD, with it's excellent ring binder 80 page manual and even more excellent on-line multimedia manual! 😀

Reply 22 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

There are some apps/games that will choke if the CD-ROM letter is not contiguous, i.e. no drives in between the c: drive and the CD-ROM. If you are mounting only a c: drive and a CD, mount the CD as d:, even if your real CD/DVD is another letter.

You are absolutely correct. But, in truth, I have only had that problem three or four times in what must amount to 150 plus installs of retro games since XP came along.

What's good is to have a tool kit of potential fixes in mind and go through them logically when you have a problem.

Certainly I have added the 'mount c c:\' to my toolkit and will be more willing to try it in future. However, AotD is quite happy with my DVD drive labelled as M:

Reply 27 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Certainly I have added the 'mount c c:\' to my toolkit and will be more willing to try it in future.

Whoooo so we have a TWO PAGE thread and you still didn't get the real point?

I have lots and lots of retro games installed. They are all working perfectly okay. I'd rather have my games on any drive that my OS drive! 😀

Reply 29 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Read page one.

I did, you didn't or you didn't get it.

My post saying got it followed the post politely saying 'try mount c c:\' So I don't know why you say 'I didn't get it'.

Also, given this is the first time I have had to do this to get a game working - in over 4 years of playing DOS games extensively, it is reasonable that I would not think that was the problem.

So if anything, I would say you are the arrogant one in this, not me.

Reply 30 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

I have lots and lots of retro games installed.

Congratulations.

Yes, you might like to know they include Red Baron, Aces over Europe and Silent Hunter Commander Edition!

Last night I installed a 1998 strategy game called Spellcross (by SCI/Cauldron) too. After installation the game wouldn't recognise the CD in the drive, so I checked on the web and low and behold, Cauldron had released a patch to fix the problem! Game now works perfectly! So sometimes, you don't need a lot of hassle, because the developer still cares! 😀

Reply 32 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think we need more pie. A lot more.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 33 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Problem was solved.
UK_John learnt something new.
Hopefully he will learn the wisdom that dosgames really like C for the harddrive and D for CDROM.
Case closed

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!