VOGONS

Another Aces of the Deep Problem....!!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the CD DOS version of Aces of the Deep, and whatever I try to do in DOSBOX or Setsound or resource.cfg I get the same error after the intro plays:

HMI Error: sw_sound 'Read_Config_File' Failed to open c:\dynamix\aodcd\resource.cfg
C:\

The resource.cfg is there it's not read only or anything, I have tried all DOSBox's from 0.65 to 0.73, all to no avail.

Any ideas why the resource.cfg cannot be opened?

I really want to play this game and usually I can solve problems one way or another, but I can't get my head around this!

Reply 1 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Mount commands?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mounts are correct.That,if you don't mind me saying, is pretty basic.

I should say have tried multiple installs and all that, as i spend hours trying to find the answer before I post here so I don't waste people's time! 😀

Reply 3 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Your thread, your problem. Have fun. Bye.

Reply 11 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly I have mounted to c c:\dynamix\aodcd and m m:\ -t cdrom. I have also used the D.O.G. front end to tweak all the various options to try.

I have narrowed it down to a weirder problem:

On the second try I managed to get the game running by installing the game from within DOSBox, I thought I had solved the problem, without knowing how (this was using DOSBox 0.72). But on quitting the game and then restarting it, from D.O.G or manually within DOSBox, I get the same 'HMI Error: sw_sound etc' error as shown above. I then reinstall the game from CD within DOSBox and it works again!

So basically, to play the game at the moment, I have to re-install it every time!

This tells me that something is going on with the program or the conf file so that while that game is successfully being played, or when I quit from the game, something is written to the files/conf file to stop the game working again!

I have never come across anything like this before! When you consider I have 23 DOS games in my D.O.G. game list, and all the others work perfectly! I have had problems, but generally it's getting a game to run in XP. I can't remember the last time I had grief within DOSBox!

Thanks for all the help through. I appreciate it.

Reply 13 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try mount c c:\ instead of the one you use now for c:\
and no your mounts aren't correct. They can't be more wrong.
using m for the cdrom inside dosbox....

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pleased to tell you that mounting c c:\ seems to have fixed the problem!

QBix, my DVD is M as I have multiple hard drives. For all previous DOS games I have just mounted M as M: with no problem, so generally, although you can set any letter within DOSBox for your DVD drive, I have never had a problem using M as M:

I should also state that with every other DOS game I have install in D.O.G using the directory fully has never caused a problem. I have also shied away from mounting c c:\ because DOSBox and D.O.G. both complain about doing that!

In any event, mounting c c:\ and m m:\ -t cdrom did the trick, so thanks very very much for all your help! I bought the CD version for the speech pack and the online manual with loads of info and videos on German U Boats and their captains.

I have played a couple convoy missions to learn the ropes and the game is as fantastic as I was hoping/other people were saying it was!

Thanks again guys!!!! You're troopers (or should I say submariners!)!!! 😀

Reply 15 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I should also state that with every other DOS game I have install in D.O.G using the directory fully has never caused a problem. I have also shied away from mounting c c:\ because DOSBox and D.O.G. both complain about doing that!

It works for some games but fails for many others (those that write to some configuration file, where they have been installed). Same goes for mounting the CD-Rom like this. Safe and best is to always mount to d. in your case
mount d m:\ -t cdrom

Next time when you want help, you should do as the people wanting to help you say.

Last edited by Dominus on 2009-06-12, 11:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
UK_John wrote:

Mounts are correct.That,if you don't mind me saying, is pretty basic.

I should say have tried multiple installs and all that, as i spend hours trying to find the answer before I post here so I don't waste people's time! 😀

Here - have some humble pie:

humble-pie.jpg

Reply 17 of 33, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

and no your mounts aren't correct. They can't be more wrong. using m for the cdrom inside dosbox....

Qbix this may be a result of dosbox intro text. Right now it is suggesting using c for c and d for d.

You should change it this way:

---------------------------------------------------------
in intro mount:
change c:\dosprog\ into f:\dosgames\
in intro cdrom:
change that red D:\ into G:\

I also changed "dosprog" into "dosgames" cause dosprog is singular and suggest game's folder name, while it is not recomended to mount game folder. And that is what UK_John did.
I would also change "you have to mount the directory containing the files" into "you have to mount the directory containing your games" bacause "the files" also suggest mounting game's directory. It may also encoulrage people to make a folder "games" with all their games.

In the readme it is mostly OK, but I think there should absolutely no suggestions for using c for c so some more changes in the readme:

-------------------------------------------------------
readme:
Windows: -c "mount c 'c:\program files\'" -----> into e:\program...
----------------------------------------------------------
readme:
dosbox c:\atlantis\atlantis.exe -c "MOUNT D C:\SAVES" ------> into f:\atlantis\atlantis.exe -c "MOUNT D f:\SAVES"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
readme:
So MOUNT C C:\GAMES tells DOSBox to use your C:\GAMES directory as drive C: -----------> into E:\GAMES
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 18 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the pie MiniMax - very tasty!

For everybody else, in my defence, there is always a learning curve with each and every DOS, Win 3.1 or Win98 game you install in DOSBox/Virtual PC/XP on a modern PC. I have installed dozens of DOS games into DOSBox and never used mount c c:\ as I have been warned off. I have always point to the directory the game files are in and I have always (well at least the last 3 years) used my mounted my DVD drive as M:\. This has not caused me any problems with any previous games.

Of course, now I have fixed the AOD CD problem using mount c c:\ I will now add that to my roster of tests when I have a problem. Justb like all the other tests i now make based on previous situations. Isn't that what we all do? Isn't that what makes us 'experts'?

So today I have learnt something else that I will register for next time! 😀 I think you can see by the number of posts I have made with a problem, that mostly I solve them myself. Because of the error message given, I was thrown for a loop and knew i'd get help here! So thanks again!

Reply 19 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:
Qbix this may be a result of dosbox intro text. Right now it is suggesting using c for c and d for d. […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

and no your mounts aren't correct. They can't be more wrong. using m for the cdrom inside dosbox....

Qbix this may be a result of dosbox intro text. Right now it is suggesting using c for c and d for d.

You should change it this way:

in intro mount:
change c:\dosprog\ into f:\dosgames\
in intro cdrom:
change that red D:\ into G:\

I also changed "dosprog" into "dosgames" cause dosprog is singular and suggest game's folder name, while it is not recomended to mount game folder. And that is what UK_John did.
I would also change "you have to mount the directory containing the files" into "you have to mount the directory containing your games" bacause "the files" also suggest mounting game's directory. It may also encoulrage people to make a folder "games" with all their games.

In the readme it is mostly OK, but I think there should absolutely no suggestions for using c for c so some more changes in the readme:

-------------------------------------------------------
readme:
Windows: -c "mount c 'c:\program files\'" -----> into e:\program...
----------------------------------------------------------
readme:
dosbox c:\atlantis\atlantis.exe -c "MOUNT D C:\SAVES" ------> into f:\atlantis\atlantis.exe -c "MOUNT D f:\SAVES"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
readme:
So MOUNT C C:\GAMES tells DOSBox to use your C:\GAMES directory as drive C: -----------> into E:\GAMES
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I think mentioning games specifically in the intro would be a mistake since other things than games can be mounted and it does seem like alot of businesses and home users use DOSBox for things other than games.

No matter what you do people are still going to mount the game folders directly instead of creating a subdirectory. It's a failure of understanding on their part to a a lack of knowledge on how DOS programs work. The only solution there is prepackaged games and a forced GUI so they don't have to deal with mounting their own games.

Most computers don't have more than one hard drive or partition. Mentioning anything other than "c" for an HD mount could be confusing. We'd probably get alot of questions why DOSBox is telling them to mount their CDROM letter as a C mount.

Also most computers do have the D or E drives as their CDROM.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline