VOGONS

First post, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Say I must unmount all the floppy disk images but I can't access Z:\ because I'm still running the application; how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What?

What use would it be to unmount a drive while you're running a (presumably DOS) app? I could understand a question about how to swap the medium in an emulated drive, though. Besides, z:\ is the drive where DOSBox stores it's internal stuff, i don't think if it's even possible to unmount it.

Just tell us what the real problem or the real question is.

Reply 2 of 12, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

What?

What use would it be to unmount a drive while you're running a (presumably DOS) app? I could understand a question about how to swap the medium in an emulated drive, though. Besides, z:\ is the drive where DOSBox stores it's internal stuff, i don't think if it's even possible to unmount it.

Just tell us what the real problem or the real question is.

You got it all wrong.

I said I wanted to unmount all the floppy disk images not the Z:\ drive, which you must be able to access in order to type "imgmount -u", something apparently impossible when the application is still running.

I don't need to swap disks (ctrl+f4) I just don't want any floppy disk at all because the application requires it.

Reply 5 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is not my problem (thank god for that!), but still i wonder... Why are you mounting something in the first place, when your app is having problems with that mount? How is it possible that a DOS app has problems with floppy disks? I mean, FDD's were in _every_ DOS PC.

Maybe Qbix has some kind of mental ability i'm missing (; . I can't make head or tails out of the OP's question.

Reply 6 of 12, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

This is not my problem (thank god for that!), but still i wonder... Why are you mounting something in the first place, when your app is having problems with that mount? How is it possible that a DOS app has problems with floppy disks? I mean, FDD's were in _every_ DOS PC.

Maybe Qbix has some kind of mental ability i'm missing (; . I can't make head or tails out of the OP's question.

It's one of those "installation completed, remove the disk from the drive and press a key" situations except the installation process is NOT actually finished when you get that message, and failing to remove the disk (app checks for any disk in the drive, you can't fool it) before you press a key, will cause installation process to stop and close with an error. This partial installation can still be found on the hard drive, but as you would expect, is of no use without the exe and a few other essential files that could not be copied.

And to add insult to injury, the app won't install to any drive that is not C:\ and the installation file cannot be run from any drive that is not A:\

Anyways, I can mount/unmount the floppy disk image from WinImage so no big deal, I just thought it would be a nice feature to have in DosBox.

Reply 7 of 12, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vogons wrote:

I just thought it would be a nice feature to have in DosBox.

Would be some kind of Multitasking which isn't possible with DOS at all.

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah i see the problem now. Yeah, maybe mounting an emtpy or even invalid (unformatted) disk image would do the trick, when swapped-in with CTRL-F4 during the installation. I used a lot of apps back in the DOS days, but this installation behaviour is new to me, so i'd say it's not very common. Which app is this?

Btw, there's also another way to get "tricky install" apps working in DOSBox: install them with Qemu or BOCHS. I've used BOCHS for some game i forgot the name of, which wouldn't install in DOSBox (i think the problem was the missing support for disk labels).

Reply 9 of 12, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's the alpha version of a data management application developed by a company I worked for back in early 90's. Not really useful for anybody except the people who bought it since it was entirely customized.

Reply 10 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ykhwong's CVS build of DOSBox has a menu bar in windowed mode that allows you to mount and unmount drives, among other things, without having to be at a command prompt. You should be able to unmount as needed while still running the application in question.

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

Reply 12 of 12, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone, but I'm already aware of the workarounds. As I said before, I just thought it would be convenient to have this option available for the official DosBox.