VOGONS

First post, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am running windows 3.1 on dosbox. my configuration is the exact mirror of that in the walkthrough already posted by Dominus.
i have downloaded the device drivers on that page, and have tried many different ones, all resulting in either an error message saying that there is a video driver conflict, or that it just couldn't bring up the video specs i wanted.
right now i am using just the normal VGA graphics that come with windows 3.1.

i only have 8 colours. count 'em.
how can i get these drivers with 256 colors compatible?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

what's your dosbox version? which video drivers do you want to use? and which were the specs you wanted but couldn't get? Just be aware that normal Dosbox works best with the S3 driver. Also if you tried many different ones look at what I wrote in the Trooubleshooting part of my guide. You may have to get rid of the oem.inf files and start the graphics driver part fresh.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by skwatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my dosbox version is 0.72, the latest.
i just want a video driver that will give me at least 256 colours.
i need that to run some games.
the specs i couldn't get were basically anything but what the original vga/super vga could give me.
resolution doesn't matter, i just want more than just an 8 colour pallette for games. silent steel looks terrible with just 8 colours.
I was using the drivers that you linked on your guide. i tried a bunch of the S3 drivers, a bunch of the et4000 drivers, the xga, all either got me to said error message or, they gave me screwed up colours, like just black and white, or a cascade of red and black lines, or just evrything on screen is black.
so, perhaps these oem.inf files are my trouble? i'll try getting rid of them.

P.S. in your guide it says you will have the option of choosing the video drivers, the keyboard layout, your mouse, i didn't get that screen during installation. is this a problem?

Reply 3 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you can run setup in the windows directory later as well.
at least that is how i installed certain parts of it.
(run it from dosbox but not while you run windows in dosbox)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

P.S. in your guide it says you will have the option of choosing the video drivers, the keyboard layout, your mouse, i didn't get that screen during installation. is this a problem?

So where does it deviate from the steps in the guide? Don't you get the setup screen when you do the steps (after mounting)
Now to install the S3 driver, start Dosbox again, type
cd windows
setup
?
And as I wrote look at the troubleshooting part of the guide, get rid of the oemX.inf files and do the steps for installing the video driver again. This time, do ONLY use the drivers linked to directly in the guide (or in the first follow up post of DosFreak). In the second post by DosFreak, he links to drivers that haven't been tested with Dosbox yet.

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no.in the System folder of your Win3.11 as i wrote in the guide

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper