VOGONS

First post, by Tc27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is perfectly playable (thanks!) and the sfx works fine.

This is more of a minor irritation than anything else, but the music in-flight plays at roughly half speed. Music plays at full speed during the intro; on base screens as well as when the game is in pause mode; in the navigation console, or in the cutscenes for death, autopilot active or jumping between systems... but whenever the player has direct control over flight, the music goes slow every time.

Any hints? Or is this a dosbox issue, or something I'll just have to live with? Thanks.

Sys info:
P4 2.6GHz, 1024M DDR
WinXP
Nvidia Ti4800 128DDR, SB Audigy

Game: Privateer CD (w/ Righteous Fire expansion)
Sound is SB16, music is General MIDI
Control config is keyboard only

Dosbox 0.70 settings:

priority: higher,normal
machine: vga
memsize: 16
frameskip: 0
scaler: normal2x
core: auto
cycles: auto
nosound: false
rate: 22050
blocksize: 2048
prebuffer: 10
mpu401: intelligent
device: default
joysticktype: none

SB is set to sb16, base 220, irq7, dma 1/5

Reply 1 of 3, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you talking about Privateer or Privateer 2? Because at the moment I am playing Privateer 2 under plain DOS and the music tempo varies over time depending on how much vessels are in the system and how long I have been playing. This seems to be a bug in the game, since I am using a real DOS machine.

As the matter of fact, my experience is that many DOS games that use MPU401 interface are prone to play music at an inconsistent speed. Often mouse movement (when using a PS/2 mouse, depending on mouse driver) seems to be affecting this, also. (e.g. in Tyrian)

Regards,
locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 3 of 3, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just had the same problem and apparently it's a Privateer bug. It happens if you don't have a joystick plugged in, so the Dosbox solution is to not use joystick=none (i.e. joystick=2axis is fine). Privateer also requires timed=false (otherwise your cursor will drift and you can't calibrate your joystick correctly). You don't need to have a real joystick plugged in though.