VOGONS

First post, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really don't know why this is happening, but for some reason, I cannot get Cubic Player to play anything in Fedora 8. Using the last version of Open Cubic Player and Cubic Player 1.7, the screen where you would see the notes and everything comes up, but does nothing and shows no loaded samples.Cubic Player 1.6 shows the notes flying by at full speed with no sound. All of my games work with no difference from when they're run from DOSBox in Windows.

The soundcard autodetection text shows it finding the SB16 I specified in dosbox.conf as well as any other SB I set it to, but does not do anything. This is happening under the normal core. Under the dynamic core, OCP simply causes DOSBox to crash with a segmentation fault. The other 2 remain the same.

All 3 work just fine in Windows XP on the same computer, so it's got me wondering just what would be doing this.

Reply 3 of 8, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally found it. Apparently, CP/OCP does not like how DOSBox provides its Tandy sound support, or Tandy in general - I dunno, I don't have running hardware to check.

Anyway, to all who use Cubic Player, Tandy sound needs to be disabled to use Cubic Player.

Reply 7 of 8, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just looked at the readme. It does not mention anything about Tandy sound emulation causing issues with any software, nor have I read any documentation anywhere stating Cubic Player has issues with Tandy hardware. In fact, I have read about past experiences of users on Tandy machines running CP/OCP. So, it did not immediately occur to me that there was an issue with Tandy sound emulation and the method by which (O)CP address the sound hardware.

I fail to see how the readme would have helped in this situation.

Reply 8 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i think the troubleshooting section tells you that you should use a default configuration file for dosbox.

Running a certain game closes DOSBox, crashes with some message or hangs:
- see if it works with a default DOSBox installation
(unmodified configuration file)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!